The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone has ever tired to raise any of these. They are a lot like a chestnut tree but they only have one nut per burr and don't get as big as a chestnut. The part that interests me is they start producing nuts at a very early age. They say 3-4 years.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
I planted some this past spring, looks like thus far about 80% of them have survived. Will be a few years before they bear a crop. I will be planting some more this spring.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
They are not blight resistant, once they get size to them, they'll be killed just like American Chestnuts. However, they do produce nuts rather fast. If the bears don't tear them apart first.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Chinquapin Chestnut (Castanea pumila) is a shrub/small tree. Primary range in PA is the SE corner. Nuts are single in the hull and about the size of samll finger nail. Unlike our American chestnut-they are highly blight resistant. The USDA plant materials research center in Big Flats NY is working on a hardier variety that can take the harsher weather of northern PA and NY. We have some growing for seed production but only three of bearing age over the past 4years. ONe year we harvested a good number of viable nuts, grew them and distributed for use on our game lands. The other three years the majority of nuts were not viable and not worth the effort to collect. I look for this to improve as I get more to maturity in the seed production orchard. I have given thought to collecting from some native stands I've locted in SE-time just has not worked out to date.

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
I have located a few in Bradford County,the trees survive,but there is very little nut production.Looking forward to the hardier variety,some of the trees seem to have died from the blight!

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
I know where their is 2 American Chestnut trees in the woods I hunt that produce tons of nuts and appear healthy as a mule.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
You should notify the American Chestnut Foundation and collect some nuts from the trees. They would like to use those nuts in their research...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts