Re: All you ever wanted to know......

Ok, it does now.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

That guy knows his stuff!

Really like his planting methods for switchgrass as well.

·
Registered
4,987 Posts

Wish I could have read that article before this Srings planting, I planted an acre of Shotplot middle of May and now the turnip tops are dying. Will the turnip dry and rot away this year, or will they be available for the deer this Winter?

·
Registered
9,330 Posts
Already read that one.I passed on the radish and did try peas this year but without a cultipacker I don't know.
Good link Brad,QDM has some great input on food plots and habitat improvements.Stuff turns into a hobby.

·
Registered
9,330 Posts

Best time to plant the turnips is for a fall crop.Dutch will know better but the turnips themselves might last into winter.
I plant rape/turnips in late July and it goes like this,
Deer eat rape first,turnip tops second and the turnips into late winter.
I tried a spring rape/turnip plot in spring and it went to seed without the deer touching it.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

The deer and other critters eat the turnips over the winter. Even had turkeys pecking at them! Porkys love them as well.

·
Registered
9,330 Posts

Two years ago in late march had a bear munching on the buggers.

·
Registered
52,306 Posts

I have planted rape and purple top turnips together for years, deer really hit it pretty hard, good plot......didn't get it in this year due to health issues.........

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
I have been planting brassica for well over 10 years now and always rotated my plots every 2 years. The first couple of years the deer would only eat it after a good frost which was great for rifle and the late season.

I had really great success with Whitetail institute and Big N Beasty products where the leaves would grow well above your knees. Not anymore. The past few years my 3 or 4 brassica plots never get bigger than a foot and are now good for early bow season. By rifle season it’s down to bare ground. In late season, I have more Deer in my WI or BFO oats plots.

IMO when I first started doing food plots nobody else in my area was doing them and I gave advise and help to some of my neighbors who started to plant brassica And I think the deer are use to it.

this year I am thinking about not planting brassica and maybe next year too. Maybe the deer will not get a liken to eating them early and would wait until a good frost.

I wonder if anybody else has the same problem

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
I couldn’t resist and planted brassica and radishes again this past August and the deer devoured it by Oct 1st. It is almost bare dirt so I planted winter rye yesterday hoping I get at least 2 weeks of growing season left.

Next year definitely not going to plant any and instead I am going to try winter peas in that spot

1 - 20 of 21 Posts