The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was brought up that in rifle season, you get up the stand before light, and don't get down until the sun is down or you shoot, or we agree to make drives at a certain time. It has always been that way and still is with our group of guys. I remember shivering many times up the tree wondering why I bother putting myself through this... That was when I was wearing cotton flannel shirts, cotton long johns, jeans, cotton "hunting" socks, and covering it up with a cheap insulated coverall. Thanks to the internet, I've been much better at layering with proper clothing, but I still wear an inexpensive insulated coverall as my outer layer.
What do you suggest I wear as an outer layer for those cold all day sits in 20+ winds, sleet, rain, snow, etc. I pack the outer layer to the stand. I now wear merino wool midweight base, fleece pants and top as mid layer, and pack a Woolrich shirt as a second mid layer if needed. I would like something not very bulky, windproof, open camo pattern to break up my silhouette. What do you suggest?

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Never wore cotton jeans. Always an old pair of wool pants. Helped keep the weight under control.

Now carry a hand warmer value pack in the day pack.
10 pairs of hand warmers bought during the summer.

If frigid never stay in one stand in one spot. Never expected to do the impossible. Besides, deer move too.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I prefer to wear insulated bibs and parka. You chest and back are double insulated. Plus what ever you choose underneath.
I had coveralls before. Just didnt cut it with me,to restricive and not comfortable at all.

Ya those hand warmers are a plus too!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My hands are usually ok, and my feet stay pretty good. The problem I have is the wind and dampness cut through my current coverall and chill me quickly. I have seen the Berber fleece, but how does it hold up over time?
Must42tang, I love reading your posts, thanks for the response. I will say, the all day sits have faired well for me in rifle, as many of my harvests have come between 10 and 2, when a lot of guys are eating lunch and B-Sing (nothing wrong with that, that's part of the appeal for some)

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I have a one piece riding suit made by Firstgear that I use when riding motorcycle when it gets cold (down into the teens). The thing is ridiculously warm, windproof and waterproof(ish). I've contemplated using it on the occasional cold day on stand. The downside is that it's solid black and the outer shell is rather noisy. On a windy day though, that suit would be awesome.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm still researching outer garments. Does anyone have any experience with Day One outerwear, Enigma Wolfskin, or Arctic Shield?
I have seen the the Body Suit style stuff, but I am not interested in one of those. I don't like the idea of having my arms inside a garment when 25' up even being strapped in. Also, when a platform is wet or slick from the elements, I want my boot soles touching it and not fabric. They seem like they are great for hunting from a blind, but not something I'm interested in.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Check out Rivers West stuff. My brother in-law, Dad, and I all love ours. And First Lite for merino wool layering underneath. Artic Shield boot blankets are the best thing for hunting that I ever bought.

·
Registered
20,862 Posts
Arctic shield is lightweight and extremely warm.I bought a mid weight jacket two years ago that keeps me very warm down into the 20's with just a couple layers underneath.That's saying something because I hate the cold.It's actually too warm to walk around in.I usually take it off when I'm walking and strap in to the back of my vest.I would imagine one of the warmer ones would do the trick even better.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Give Grey Wolf Woolens a look. If you want something like you described in your post your are gonna pay for it. I have some clothing from Grey Wolf Woolens. Custom made stuff is worth the investment. Buy once buy it right. I have a wolfskin pullover with the wind liner. It has a lined front hand warmer pocket, dual draw cords, mid and bottom. Jeff also has a lite loft lining as well. I don't have any experience with it. There are a few good places to buy custom made stuff. It all comes down to what you want to spend on it.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
I really doubt there is always all day outerwear. It might be good for part of the day, but not all day.
The other day I went through a 25 degree change.
At around 8 A.M. the outerwear worked. At noon I was dragging and the outerwear too warm. It got to about 62 degrees.
And the change in weather, in a few hours, seems to affect one as you get older. This morning is in the high damp 30's.

I remember going from 112 in the Mohave desert to San Francisco in the 60's, on the same day, years ago. You should have seen the heavy winter coat I was wearing down to a local San Francisco store. "Are you feeling well" said the clerk.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
the areas i hunt and the season dictate my time on stand but i usually sit from well before dark until well after without moving. grey wolf, king of the mountain are amazing when it comes to that. i have a stand hunter extreme setup from cabelas that is nice too but it needs packed in and is soooo warm.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
The keys for me are wear layers that can be reduced if temps rise, wear polyester or merino wool next to skin (no cotton), avoid sweating going to the stand, and be sure one layer is wind shear or similar material to keep the wind off the the core of your body AND your head/neck.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all of the input thus far. Basdjs, I do those things now with the layering and no cotton. Basically I'm looking for that good outer layer to keep the wind out and warmth in. I looked up the Grey Wolf and King of the Mountain sites. Great looking stuff, but I know for a fact if I bought that I would never be cold again, because my wife would shoot me for spending that much money on hunting clothes...
I think I'm going to check out the Cabela's windshear line in fleece and wool. I read some things that the lining is noisy, but I'll go see for myself. Looks like I'll be living with the old coverall this season yet, and I'll get something new in the offseason.

·
Banned
34 Posts
I go with 4 layers. Under armor, then fleece, then another insulating layer (optional), then waterproof + windproof bibs and parka.

On the way in I carry 1-2 bags with my coat, optional insulating shirt, boot blankets, a hand muff and a couple spare pairs of gloves and socks and face masks.

Picked up the bibs up at Gander Mountain for 70$ this year, great quality outerwear for the price.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
PhiPatch, check eBay for Windshear garments or some of the others mentioned in your size. Sometimes you can find a great bargain on a new or used high quality out wear outfit.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I am a big fan of wool as it keeps you warm even when wet but the Cabelas wooltimate blend with the wind sheer is awesome it has everything you are looking for and very affordable.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
In response to your berber fleece question. I've had a berber fleece coat with the windshear lining for years. It's held up good and its warm.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts