The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a new set of boots for hunting. I am gonna use them for birds bears and deer hunting. they need to be warm enough for those zero degree first morning of deer season sits for a couple of hours but light enough that i can walk all day in them. also they need to be tough we hunt in some rough stuff and my last pair are all torn up from the brairs. i hope to go out west next year to pheasant hunt so i will putting miles on them and im not afraid to spend a little extra on a set that will last longer then my last pair. the boots need to have a good selection of sizes also because i have a long narrow foot and the average boot doesnt fit me right. thanks for all your input.

·
Super Moderator
7,757 Posts
Some brands to consider, in no particular order:

-Kennetrek
-Asolo (hiker-height)
-Meindl

You really can't get a boot that will keep you warm when stationary on a real cold morning and NOT be too heavy/warm for upland hunting. To have one boot do it all, you'll need something like the Arctic Shield overboots and some Hot-Hands warmers to put inside.

I use my Asolo Sasslongs (uninsulated hikers) for early bow season, warm days in turkey season, and upland hunting/shed hunting. I use my Meindl Perfekts (400g Thinsulate) with Merino wool socks and overboots in colder weather.

I can't stand warm weather hunts in insulated boots, nor hard hikes/walks with boots that are too hot/heavy. And my feet will freeze in such light boots in a cold deer stand. Two pairs and some over boots should get you pretty well covered.

I do use a pair of Cabela's boots in 1200g thinsulate range for real cold sits in flintlock season, but I got them for cheap and don't have to walk much in them.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
I keep some old Sorel, felt lined, rubber bottom boots. Might see another minus zero day, dragging a deer across some frigid snow. On those days it doesn't come down to all around boots.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Get yourself a pair of Rocky Gortex in 800 or 1000g they are light enough to hunt all day in and durable for all conditions. I usually use one pair of socks and in extreme cold weather a pair of those stick on foot warmers keeps my feet warm all day when standing in my metal tree stand.....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts