The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been thinking about this a lot lately and thought I would put this question to the masses.
<span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">What would make the best all around, carry handgun?</span></span>
When I ask myself that question, I take into the consideration that I would want it for personal protection, snakes while fishing, kayaking or camping, and for target shooting.
That makes for a tall order. I own various handguns, but they all have their specialty, none seem to fit the bill to be used all around.
Currently I am looking for something that would be easy to carry while fishing and kayaking. My current carry gun is a Ruger 40. It's a bit much to lug around while fishing and it doesn't tuck away very well in the kayak, so most of the time it stays at home or in the truck. Besides that, I think it's a bit over kill for snakes!
What's your thoughts on this? Maybe you guys can come up with something I haven't thought of.
Thanks!

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
My thought is, I wouldn't advertise you plan on randomly shooting snakes. So, remove that from the equation, and a .357 snubby fits the bill. Shoot .38s for target/plinking, and the .357 rounds for protection.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Borden811 said:
My thought is, I wouldn't advertise you plan on randomly shooting snakes. So, remove that from the equation, and a .357 snubby fits the bill. Shoot .38s for target/plinking, and the .357 rounds for protection.
X2... 2" 357mag will fit that bill. Also would make an excellent protection pistol while hunting Dangerous Game.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
snakes????
that's a load of ****.
noone needs a gun for snakes.
If you have time to draw a gun to shoot a snake then you have time to step away from it.
End of threat

As for an all around gun, I like my M&P Shield in 40 cal.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys for the ideas! There's a couple to think about. I might just stick with one of the ones I have. I guess I'm always looking for another reason to buy another gun.
On the other issue, I was just randomly typing things and never meant to stir anything up. I've never shoot a snake while out fishing or ever plan too! I was more referring to the size of the gun, not what I was using it for! Sorry if my random thoughts are not interpreted well in words. So for those that got their blood pressure up, I apologize!
Thank You!

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Yes. Heaven FORBID anyone mention harming a snake.........

Anyhoo.......... my first reaction was a 4" .41 Mag wheelgun. But nobody makes snake shot for a .41 Mag nor do they make a component capsule to roll your own.

So next best choice, I think, would be a 3 or 4 inch 5-shot .357 Mag. Snake shot, .38 Specials for light work, and full bore .357's for pretty much whatever ails you.

·
Registered
7,078 Posts
The all around best handgun is one you don't mind carrying 24/7. That being said I think it's my Ruger LCR in 38. No matter what I'm wearing, I can carry it, and WILL carry it. Do I prefer to carry my XDS, or M&P 9, or S&W 686 - yes, but I won't carry any of these day in and day out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts