The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It should end the 16th compared to the 12th this past year.I didn't see much of a rut in 2012 and what action I did witness was after the season so hopefully this will be a plus.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I hunted the last friday, saturday, & monday. I saw alittle rutting action. 1 buck locked down with a doe & 2 bucks chasing. That was it. Other years I saw action like this as early as Halloween, but not last year.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
I was laid off last yr and hunted almost everyday. The last week has always been good to me, but I only saw 1 small 8 pt crusing with his nose to the ground. So there wasn't much of a rut around here. I also archery hunted and rifle hunted bear and still didn't see any rutting action. This yr I also hunted rifle season with my bow. I only saw deer one day out of that season and like I said I hunted almost everyday. I guess I missed it somewhere along the line. Hope its better next yr. I did shoot a small 8 pt the last 15 minutes of the last day of archery. The rest of the time I was after a doe.

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
From what I observed, things were pretty slow in my neck of the woods too, but most of that had to do with heavy hunting pressure, even on private ground. I hunted Ohio from the 3-10th, and had pretty good cold weather most of the days. Only saw one small buck chasing does the entire time I was there. I killed a big one, but it was not cruising or chasing. The hunting pressure on that piece of ground was average. I also hunted nearly every day of rifle season in Pa with my bow, and killed an 8 point the first day, whom was also just walking around. Didnt see much chasing at all. From everyone else I talked to, it was alot of the same, very sporadic rut activity.

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
After 3 good rut years, 2012 was extremely slow. 4 of us took the whole last week including the Monday of bear and deer to hunt, and we killed 2 bucks that were on their regular patterns. Seemed the last day which was Monday showed the best movement, but still not like years past.

·
Registered
5,350 Posts
Slow here for me too. Took five days the last two weeks of archery and hunted dark to dark only saw one shooter cruising at 11:00. I did see one three pt that was grunting like a pig but no shooters. I did shoot a buck on the last day of archery but he was by himself and his hock glands were clean as could be. During bear season I did see a big 10 chasing a doe along with 4 other little bucks following him. In ohio the first week of gun season I saw no rutting action.

I sure hope next year will be more action packed in the chasing phase.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
This year for my place rut hit for a few days the around 17th of October but the warm temps and the hurricane severely hampered it. Then immediately following the hurricane, October 31 - November 3 the rut hit hard and fast here. But almost immediately tapered off. It seemed as if the proceeding weeks prior to rifle season when temps really dipped was when the majority of the activity hit around here. There was substantial rubbing and scraping immediately following archery season.

·
Registered
13,454 Posts
fri nov 2, the day after the hurricane stopped i saw a bunch of bucks cruising in a goldenrod feild. back & forth across that feild, in & out of the woods i was in. i shot one at about 8:30, and was still seeing bucks as i was taking care of him & getting him out of the feild. my son got in the same stand late sat afternoon and saw at least 3 different bucks cruising that feild, and he shot one about 4:30. one of my friends hunted that stand, and a couple others nearby, off & on for the next week, and saw almost no deer activity.

·
Registered
9,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
SoYoCoTransplant said:
This year for my place rut hit for a few days the around 17th of October but the warm temps and the hurricane severely hampered it. Then immediately following the hurricane, October 31 - November 3 the rut hit hard and fast here. But almost immediately tapered off. It seemed as if the proceeding weeks prior to rifle season when temps really dipped was when the majority of the activity hit around here. There was substantial rubbing and scraping immediately following archery season.

That's pretty much what I saw.If it's the same scenerio this year the four days later might help.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
I hunted everyday of the season up until I shot my buck on Nov. 1st, and I was still in the woods everyday until mid-November. The only chasing I observed was on 10-19-12. I saw 4 buck in that short evening hunt. 2 chased does really hard. November the only rutting activity I saw was a fight between two 3 pointers at my stand. I am seriously considering using my vacation from 10-20 to Halloween this year.

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Latter in the rut always seems the best hunting, usually Nov. 12th thru the 18th. I always hunt Ohio the week after our season goes out and i have my cabin reserved in Ohio the 16th thru the 23rd. But i put in for vacation starting Friday Nov. 1 thru Nov. 25th, The rut only happens once a year and i plan on being there when it does.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Buck I shot on Nov.5th was the first one I saw after the hurricane. Things seemed to be picking up, then the hurricane hit, and it went dead. Walking around, turkey hunting, the end of the week I saw 3 buck. Pretty slow.

·
Super Moderator
12,803 Posts
As always I did a lot of archery hunting in OH & PA and saw much less than normal rutting activity.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts