The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
Montana would be quite pricey since they aren't legal to kill there. Alaska you are looking at the 10-15k range.

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
big28hunter would probably know more on this topic, I just look at Coastal Brown Bear hunts from time to time and start dreaming up ways to save 20 grand. Interior griz are a little cheaper and you can hunt them in addition to moose or caribou in some areas.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
I've seen them as low as $8500.00 and as high as $18000.00. If your lucky you can get in on a cancellation hunt for less than this. You also have to be careful because some outfitters will have a cheaper hunt rate and if your successful the price will double. A few years ago I could have gone for brown bear for $6500.00 but I already had another hunt booked. Another option is going on a two species hunt where you only pay a trophy fee after your first animal is taken.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Smtn10pt said:
big28hunter would probably know more on this topic, I just look at Coastal Brown Bear hunts from time to time and start dreaming up ways to save 20 grand. Interior griz are a little cheaper and you can hunt them in addition to moose or caribou in some areas.
already started my saving...looking at 2019 or 2020

truth be told, i will probably just spend the money on whitetail hunts and then take out a loan...

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
irishxc said:
anyone know about how much $$$$ these hunts would cost...guided off course. Thanks fellas.
I shot an Alaskan grizzly and a barren ground caribou in 2011. It was a combo trip north of Tok near the Yukon border. It was a 10 day backpack trip. My griz was a 7 1/2 footer. With everything involved, except taxidermy when I got home, the out the door cost at that time was $17,500.
You could add about $2,000 to that particular trip for what the price has gone up since 2011.
That cost includes the actual trip, which right now is $13,800, airline tickets, hunting license and tags, tip for the guide, a rental car and three nights stay in hotels and finally just some incidental expenses of traveling.

I'm pretty sure that Montana IS giving out like 5 grizzly tags per year, but getting one of them would not be something that you could PLAN an hunting trip around ahead of time. Good luck.

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
bohunr said:
saw these folks on TV the other night, all they had on camera were GIANTS. really pricey too

http://www.cusacksalaskalodge.com/Cusacks_Alaska_Lodge/Home.html
Those are brown bears, not grizzlies. Brown bears live closer to the ocean and salmon streams, have a far easier time getting food, grow significantly larger on average and are a lot more successful hunt on average.

Grizzlies live inland, generally not near salmon runs, don't grow as large on average and are much more difficult to harvest. I want to say that the average success rate on grizzlies in Alaska is around 10%. Brown bear success rates are much, much higher than that.

·
Registered
490 Posts
You might also want to look hard at BC for a grizzly.
When spring black bear hunting 2014 we saw numerous grizzly.
Going back this year to chase one. $4K daily rate for 10days, trophy fee $10K.
I personally prefer the trophy fee in case I am not successful or do not see a bear I like.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
muskyman62 said:
Smtn10pt said:
already started my saving...looking at 2019 or 2020

truth be told, i will probably just spend the money on whitetail hunts and then take out a loan...
Life always throws those curve balls at you. Nice having a backup plan.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Kebco said:
I personally prefer the trophy fee in case I am not successful or do not see a bear I like.
That's not a bad deal at all! Let me know how you make out. Good huntin'

·
Registered
490 Posts
big28hunter said:
Kebco said:
That's not a bad deal at all! Let me know how you make out. Good huntin'
Will know in May how this turns out.
The outfitter I will use gets only 2 grizzly tags every 5 years for his area.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts