The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever do this? Thoughts? I'm guessing it's and easy float but have reservations about putting all my gear in a raft. My uncle invited me for a trip this September.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
I'd go in a heart beat! Something I truly want to do. Have hunted Alaska several times but never by raft. I will soon though. Good huntin'

·
Super Moderator
3,789 Posts
After living there for 16 years nothing is easy in Alaska and if it is then every one else will be floating also. Without more details it's difficult to answer your question, I assume you are floating for moose but without knowing what river your floating its hard to answer your question. I would suggest getting a copy of float hunting Alaska by Michael Strahan. I can tell you Alaska is not like most places it's very unforgiven and guessing or underestimating can have severe effects.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
USAFRET said:
After living there for 16 years nothing is easy in Alaska and if it is then every one else will be floating also. Without more details it's difficult to answer your question, I assume you are floating for moose but without knowing what river your floating its hard to answer your question. I would suggest getting a copy of float hunting Alaska by Michael Strahan. I can tell you Alaska is not like most places it's very unforgiven and guessing or underestimating can have severe effects.
Assuming military? What's with all the guys here that used to live there. My daughter has 2 friends who both have dad's that retired from there. Both ex-military turned police.
My mom lived there for 8 yrs. So I've been there. Know the extremes. My uncle goes up every year. Just invited me this time. It is for moose. Which I've called and hunted. Just not much of a rafting guy. So we will see. I have no details. I'm just assuming your getting wet.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Sounds like a great opportunity. I'd have jumped on this a few years ago if I were you. Now I'd have to have a little more info. Some great advise above!! Good luck on your decision. Pics and details appreciated if you do the trip.

·
Super Moderator
3,789 Posts
Chester, you are correct. I was stationed at Elmendorf for eight years and Eielson for eight. I would still be living there, my son lives in Fairbanks and One daughter is in VA, one in MT and three here in Minot along with half the grand kids . I don't have to tell you where the wife made the decision to stay, lol. I would get that book by Michael Strahan, all your questions and more will be answered.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Don't know about now but 12-13 yrs. ago my brother and a friend did a drop camp hunt and the guys waiting to fly out had just done a float trip and seen lots of moose and made out well. Think they were from W. V.? The area they were in had a 50" min. and these guys were new and didn't want to shoot one too small, finally got one closer and shot it and then realized they had passed up larger ones! I'm sure it depends alot on which river? and the equip. the outfitter has?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Not sure I'd ever categorize an Alaskan float as easy. Some rivers are more forgiving than others but weather, water conditions sweepers, and novice boating skills etc. will make a hunt turn deadly before you can blink.

Lots of options for gear storage and rafting (dry bags, gun racks etc). Dont be worries about your gear. I'd want to know what river i was floating and do as much research on that river as possible. Coordinate with your air taxes too.

My suggestion is to contact Larry Bartlett at Pristine Ventures. He is THE float hunting guy in AK. I know him personally and he'll help you out any way he can. Fee free to PM me with specific questions.

·
Registered
9,485 Posts
USAFRET said:
Chester, you are correct. I was stationed at Elmendorf for eight years and Eielson for eight. I would still be living there, my son lives in Fairbanks and One daughter is in VA, one in MT and three here in Minot along with half the grand kids . I don't have to tell you where the wife made the decision to stay, lol. I would get that book by Michael Strahan, all your questions and more will be answered.
I can remember when I was in the AF and was finishing up training when everyone was talkin about their assigned duty stations.One guy had Minot and he comes up to us and says" WHY NOT MINOT" and our reply was "FREEZINS THE REASONS".

·
Super Moderator
3,789 Posts
Great advice OAGR, Larry is one of the best!

·
Registered
13 Posts
USAFRET said:
Great advice OAGR, Larry is one of the best!
Yes he is! i've known Larry since 1999 and he'll give you the shirt off his back to help you out. Strahan is a great resource too. Very nice guy and has helped a ton of people out too when it comes to floating hunting. His book, as with Larry Bartlett's books, are a must read for anyone thinking about float hunting.

·
Super Moderator
3,789 Posts
I would look at Alaska Outdoor Forum, the have a forum for Alaska Float Hunting.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Nothing perfect about hunting Alaska. The land is poorly fertilized and what animals there are, many get hunted near the relatively few highways in Alaska.
Hunters use small boats on the rivers to get away from crowds and the over-hunted areas. But some areas are getting overhunted and fly in floats is the best alternative.

The problem of using the rivers is the limitation of the hunters on their carryouts. I saw where four hunters got a moose and had used two boats to get upstream.
It took all four to carryout the weighty moose. They had a limitation on how deep they could hunt from the boats.
It not that Alaska is out of game. The limitations on the hunters and where they hunt, is the problem.

·
Registered
9,485 Posts
I know it,s just a show but my dad and I always laugh about on Yukon Men they got to travel extreme distances to hunt and trap.I mean the game can,t be that scarace.

·
Registered
431 Posts
good ole boy,the game is that scarce close to villages.There will be NOTHING easy about a float hunt.You will be breaking down and resetting camp daily.The water temps Will kill you quick if you take a dump into the water.I hunted moose last year there and did a flyin lake hunt over 100 miles in.I looked at float hunts but theres to much work involved and danger.I met up with guys that did float hunts and they ALL were successful.But so was I,and didn't have to keep moving meat daily and all the camp set up and break down

·
Registered
13 Posts
Game density largely depends on the area and the species. Moose tend to have low densities on average. Additionally, you're likely going to be hunting in an area with an antler restrictions as a non resident. 50inches or 4 browtines. Not trying to discourage you because there are plenty of moose larger than that but just want to give you a good idea of what to expect.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts