The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any ak owners here...i bought one it is being shipped.a new..century arms $700 with case , sling, 4 30 rd clips...and cleaning kit sythetic stock...didnt think it was too bad of a deal...then found 1000 rds of wolf 7.62x39 for $300...pros and cons of ak's...thanks

·
Banned
14,317 Posts
In my opinion maybe the coolest gun on the planet.
I tried to buy one at a gun show in chamberburg pa the Saturday before 9-11-2001 , All day the guy couldn't get through on the phone for the background check, I was po'd ..The guy gave me his card and I was to drive to his house in Lancaster pa a few days later. Then 911 happened. God rest there souls.
A couple days after that I drive to this guys house, on the way i'm thinking after just what happen are they gonna approve anyone for an AK .
So I get to the guy house and no problems a Romanian ak think back then it was 300 bucks.
Good luck with yours

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
AK is a well built, reliable rifle. I'm on my 2nd one and they take a lickin' and keep on tickin'. I traded my 1st one for a Remington-Rand M1 carbine. Bad decision. Enjoy the AK, they're one of the most fun and inexpensive semi's out there.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
$700 is not a bad price I guess, considering the market right now. I bought a WASR-10 about 1 1/2 years ago, for $400 out the door. I have seen them for sale, for 2-3x that!

I also bought about 10 magazines at the same time for $9 each. Good luck finding them now!

Ammo for an AK is easing up. Ammoman.com gets it in, however it usually sells out quite fast.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
The AK is an amazing rifle. It can be put into mudd, sand, water, etc and still preform. They can be disassembled and reassembled with realative ease. The AK is the worlds most recongized rifle. Some contries even have the AK on their national flag. The AK, though not the first assult style military rifle invented it closely resembles the first.

IMO PRO's parts are found with ease. It is very versatile and can be disassembeld and reassembled with ease. The ammo a typical AK takes (7.62) can be found with much ease. In addition the 7.62 is a mean round. It can and will punch through tramma plates. Their are many different variants of the AK to further your tastes of shooting the AK.

IMO CONS It is actually an old rifle when you think about it. Quality is among IMO the biggest issue with the AK rifle. Many are shipped over to the US in parts kits. Then companies like Century putthem back together and put a couple US made parts on the to make them 922r compliant. A lot of time the quailty is lost then. Sights can be canted, bolts very loose, very wobbly mags etc. The AK is not an optic friendly rifle. It can be fitted with a quad rail, but on top of the reciver cover is a different story. IMO accuracy is the AK's biggest problem. They can really put fire power down range, but they can suffer accuracy problems. They are also an extremely difficult rifle to suppress.

Just a few thoughts that popped up in my head. Their are other cons, but they are very much my own opinion and tastes in a rifle.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This has a new reciever and barrel...plus i seen some kits for the gun forva fairly reasonable price...here is pic

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
With aging eyes, I wanted to put an optic on my WASR-10. There are several options; railed handguard, Ultimak rail, rails that go on the cover or a mount that slides on the side rail of the receiver.

I choose to mount my optic using the Midwest Industries AKM mount. It slides onto the side rail and is very rugged. I went with a Bushnell TRS-25 Red Dot Sight because it is cheaper than an Aimpoint or Eotech, plus it has good reviews.

Accuracy from an AK can range from barn door to quite good. I only had enough time last week to hit the range and do a quick sight in with the RDS. I wanted to sight it in at 50 yards, but those tables were taken. So, I hung a silhouette at the 100 yard side and hoped I was on paper. Lower circle was my first 3-shot group. Did an adjustment and fired the higher 3-shot group. Adjusted the sight again and I was in the money. I was rather pleased with the size of those groups at 100 yards. I finished up my just shooting several more 3-shot groups before I had to leave.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Gp 1975 believe it is ras rebuilt by century arms....i wanted something like this or an ar but the ar prices and availibilty of ammo changed my mind.might buy a stock kit for it but..pretty much done buying guns now except for a iac 982 home defense 12 ga..($200)..5 guns in a 2 month period the wife is putting her foot down...lol

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Steve in PA said:
$700 is not a bad price I guess, considering the market right now. I bought a WASR-10 about 1 1/2 years ago, for $400 out the door. I have seen them for sale, for 2-3x that!

I also bought about 10 magazines at the same time for $9 each. Good luck finding them now!

Ammo for an AK is easing up. Ammoman.com gets it in, however it usually sells out quite fast.
Found 2 10rd tapco for$11 each...good to go now...compliant ...lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.