The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
HPA Admin Approved Vendor
6,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know we have a few Pro Photographers on here and I need some advice...Big Time

This subject may also help others here with similar questions.
Please feel free to also PM me if needed.

Later this year I am going to be flying to Fort Myers Fla. then onto Port Charlotte for a week or so fishing trip. I want to take my Canon 50-D
Canon IS L Series 28-135 IS Macro and 70-200 lenses. Problem is I have never flown with my camera equipment and do not have a clue as what I need to do with it as far as packing and what to be aware of regarding X-Ray ect.

I am trying to avoid problems now rather than having to deal with them later so your advice will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Griz

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Griz,I am not a photographer but you need to keep your cameras with you carry on...Do not check them as luggage..There are thieves stealing goodies out of peoples luggage from time to time..Get a carry on bag for your cameras and keep them in your overhead bin in the plane..As far as XRAYs go if your have a new digital camera and not the old film ones you do not need to worry about the XRAY machine..If you are taking an old film camera just let TSA agents know this and give it to them to bypass the XRAY machine.

·
Registered
11,144 Posts
Really isn't a problem Herb. I pack all my stuff as carry-on except tripod. Sometimes I need to open the bag and remove some things for further investigation by TSA but it is not a big deal.

I have a LowePro Fastback backpack that I load with my laptop, 2 bodies, 3 lenses, remote timers, flash and other small items. Usually I have to remove the laptop from the case and that is it. The remote triggers usually catch at TSA inspector's eye too because of how they look. Long square device with a wire coming out of it. I one instance they flagged my ballhead. It has always been a very short delay and I was on my merry way.

FWIW, I need to find a bigger bag now or roller case. Have a 500mm f4 now to tote around.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Also went to Fla and carried all with me as a carry-on. No worries or issues. The amount of wildlife for birding is awesome as well as gators. Get extra cards if you dont have them now.

TPLANK, I will take that heavy thing off your hands anytime for you !

·
Banned
313 Posts
Just pack them in your carry on. They may or may not ask you to take them out at the scanner just depends on the person. No big deal at all. If you are taking a tripod that can be stowed in your checked baggage, but you always want your camera and lens in your carry on.

·
HPA Admin Approved Vendor
6,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds good everyone, what I see is a relief. Last thing you need when going on a LONG anticipated trip is headaches.
Thanks for the replies it has been a help.

Best,

Griz

·
Registered
658 Posts
Griz,
Not a pro by any means, btu have traveled with several cameras and lenses. You are allowed one persoanl item(which I always make a camera bag with all camera equipment) and one carry on for your other sundries and toiletries. Others have given good advice.....NEVER check any camera equipment other than maybe a tripod, no lenses, bodies, etc.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Just a note....call a day or 2 ahead of time to check any changes in regulations with the airline you are traveling. They change regs mmore pften that we can keep up to.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts