The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I'm little behind the press release but I just came across this ad for the Crossman Air Bow ...

wow!!! Ok it's illegal in Pa. ( for now) but I would defiantly get one it they pass the legislative bill out there to use air powered weapons for big game.

just think no strings to replace no limbs to fracture no crank and under $1,000.00 watching the youtube pretty amazing..

·
Registered
18,574 Posts
It is my opinion that they should be legal in Pa for species that air rifles are currently legal for. It should be regulated as an air rifle.

A sling shot that shoots a 150 grain core lokt is still a sling shot, not a rifle. An air rifle that shoots an arrow is still an air rifle, not a bow.

·
Banned
2,401 Posts
At one time there was a barrel kit for a 10/22 that fired an arrow using a blank round. Would that be legal for small game?

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Why are we fighting and tearing each other down? We need to be united to fight the anti's, not fighting among ourselves. People should be able to hunt with whatever weapon they want. It will attract new people to the sport, and that's what we really need.

Oh wait we're talking about the airbow!?! NOT IN MY BACKYARD

·
Registered
16,544 Posts
i saw a video where they spear bears from tree stands. Tim wells takes all kinds of game with his spear. maybe we can push for that too. i had deer stand right under me, i bet i could have killed it by dropping a bowling ball on its head. its a single "projectile".

·
Registered
18,574 Posts
The technology that propels the arrow does not meet the criteria for a "bow". Bows are devices that propel arrows from energy stored within drawn limbs. Longbows, recurves, compounds, and crossbows all propel their arrows from energy stored in the limbs.

This device is an air rifle that propels the arrow by compressed gas. It should be regulated as such as be legal for species where air rifles are legal.

I currently own the FX Verminator Extreme below. It converts from pellets to arrows in minutes. Its a blast to shoot but it is not a bow. Right now it is illegal in arrow configuration in Pa for small game and varmints but it should be, IMO.

·
Registered
6,677 Posts
Probably lobbyist in Harrisburg as we speak lobbying for the new weapon. If not there will be soon. Reaching the saturation point with x-bows and inlines, the manufactures need a new category of weapon to sell. Just because they don't fit into an existing category doesn't mean they can't create a new one. It's acceptance will probably depend on how much money the manufacturers want to put into creating a new category in PA.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
The technology that propels the arrow does not meet the criteria for a "bow". Bows are devices that propel arrows from energy stored within drawn limbs. Longbows, recurves, compounds, and crossbows all propel their arrows from energy stored in the limbs.

This device is an air rifle that propels the arrow by compressed gas. It should be regulated as such as be legal for species where air rifles are legal.

I currently own the FX Verminator Extreme below. It converts from pellets to arrows in minutes. Its a blast to shoot but it is not a bow. Right now it is illegal in arrow configuration in Pa for small game and varmints but it should be, IMO.
Just out of curiosity...why would someone want to use an arrow instead of a pellet if the same rules apply?

·
Registered
8,660 Posts

Dang dpms! You've got ALL the toys!

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
I don't own or want one...but...IMO they should be legal for small game and big game in any season where regular firearms are legal...just my 2 cents.>:)

As fur the rest of this thread. :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

·
Registered
18,574 Posts
Just out of curiosity...why would someone want to use an arrow instead of a pellet if the same rules apply?
Just something different. The trajectory of the arrow also comes into play when in arrow configuration versus when using pellets.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Some serious FUDDs on this forum.

Same was said for compound bows...then crossbows, and now the air bow. Don't like it don't use it...it's pretty simple, but some of you guys need to change with the times. PA hunting laws also need to be updated.

I could care less what the next guy is using as long as it's legal. There isn't a valid logical reason why it shouldn't be allowed.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts