The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this has been discussed here before, but does anyone know why we can not hunt small game with air rifles? Any info or opinions would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
8,119 Posts
Welcome to HPA............do a quick search and good luck

·
Registered
8,119 Posts
Sorry....The last time this was brought up I think it may have been locked and deleted.

·
Registered
25,591 Posts
Same reason we can't hunt more species on Sunday here in PA; Hunt with semi-auto rifles here in PA; And do several other things that those who live in other states can do: Not legal in PA.

·
Registered
7,400 Posts
I always thought alot of it has to do with the different types of air rifles. Some are perfectly capable of humanely killing animals, others aren't. There are a ton of different models out there with varying amounts of power, so you would need to come up with some sort of standards. Sounds like an enforcement nightmare. Just my thoughts.

·
Banned
4,988 Posts
Yes Pa. doesn't allow air guns for hunting, BUT with the new ones out there that are so powerful I think it should be looked at. Hunting squirrels would be the only thing "I" would hunt with them.

·
Registered
25,591 Posts
Form a Pennsylvania Hunters Air Rifle Team and lobby for legalization of them as hunting implements. That seems to be the way to go these days.

Plus the anacronym would not only be appropriate, it should also draw some attention?

·
Registered
12,243 Posts
Thing is they weren't always illegal.

Lewis and Clark's expeditionary force took an antelope with one.

Granted the old single pump red ryder isn't fit for much of anything except song birds. There are some multipump air rifles that can put a hole through a rabbit.

The PGC however, isn't interested in couldas and wouldas, don't even suggest that there is any irrational thought to the firearms rules for hunting in PA.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts