The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Air rifles

I'm dumber than a blacksmith's anvil when it comes to air rifles. I only had one, a Daisy BB w/open sights when I was five or six and only used it to shoot sparrows and my sister.

My son bought his two offsprings each a Stoeger X20 17 cal pellet rifle w/scope for Christmas. Well, the first time out one scope took a hike, its a baby rattle. The best I understand(?) it, a X20 uses a air piston not a spring to launch pellets so can I put one of my CF rifle scopes on his boomer or must Pop spring for a air rifle only scope?

Bill

·
Registered
10,659 Posts
Re: Air rifles

Get the air rifle scope. My son ruined two cheaper scopes he had on a Beeman RX-1 which has considerable recoil for an air rifle.

I had a few regular scopes that I used and there were no problems but I did eventually did buy an air rifle scope. They are parallel adjusted for closer ranges and for the two way recoil of the air rifle.

·
Registered
358 Posts

As it was explained to me... it isn't the rearward recoil that hurts a CF scope, it is the forward recoil that destroys a CF scope

·
Registered
12,166 Posts

This is a comment relative to the air rifle / gun venue as a whole and based only on personal experience. Think twice before purchasing a GAMMO product. I bought one of their pellet pistols and after less than 100 shots the mag will not release from the mag well. And worse, they have as yet to respond to my phone messages, written letter or email asking for help. I will wait another month for them to reply and then I am sending them their "product" with appropriate comments and suggestions for its disposition and future use.

·
Registered
602 Posts

Air Pistons you can use anything...the springers will destroy regular rifle scopes. I have a cheap center point from wal mart on mine as do quite a few of the people I shoot indoors with and they work fine for a pellet gun

1 - 6 of 6 Posts