The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has the increased price and ammo shortage, especially 22LR, driven anyone to using the Air Rifles/Pistols instead of their normal shooting weapons?

For the longest time now I have avoided using our 22's due to the price and shortage. Happened to glance at an air rifle and wondered if there was an increase in use.

At least it is shooting!

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
The Missus bought Me a Gamo .22 Cal. Air rifle for Xmas. It Is accurate to 20yds. and I enjoy shooting It. Don`t have to worry about the Neighbors complaining due to noise levels.Also,no worry about Bullets ricocheting.I`ll save My .22 shells for Squirrel Season....

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I love shooting mine in warm weather, always have since I was a kid. Good for clearing out the rats in the barn.
I have friends that won't own guns because of their kids, but enjoy coming over and shooting the pellet guns during cook outs.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
I shoot my springers any time I can, when the weather is warm enough. Spring air rifles are VERY sensitive to ambient temps and only function well when the mercury rises above about 40-45 degrees or so, give or take. I have nitro piston driven "springers that are much more cold tolerant but I'm not when it comes to just plinking in sub-freezing temps, so it's to the basement with a pellet trap I go to keep my shooting skills sharp.

·
Registered
12,207 Posts
Been using single pump pellet guns for indoor practice for 30 years. I do have a spring powered bb pistol from daisy that looks like a 45 Peacemaker, but it needs some repair. It has no piston or pump, it uses a spring to propel the bb.

·
Registered
18,907 Posts
Tis a shame we can't use them for hunting in this state. Some are working to change that though. Rep Gabler has a bill to do so.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a couple of older Crossman's but really thinking of getting a Springer or PCP to really shot for the time being while .22 ammo is hard to find.

Any recommendations? How about caliber, .22 or .177?

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
I just bought a Crosman Pumpmaster Classic pistol in 177cal for the reason you stated, I also bought a sholder stock for it. I figured it would be something to plink with when the wheather breaks and I go for hikes.

Around here 177cal is easier to find than 22cal...go figure.

·
Registered
22 Posts

I bought a Benjamin Marauder in .22 Cal. (wooden stock model) a year ago. It's a PCP that you pump up to 3000 PSI with a high pressure hand pump. I purchased it as a combination package; [Rifle, Pump, Scope, Mounts, pellets,bipod and hard case] for $750. I get about 40 shots before it needs re-charged. It has internal baffles in a shrouded barrel that make it very guiet. It is extremely accurate! Pellets run about $25 for 650 (.22 cal.)pellets. Years back I scoffed at the idea of buying a PCP air rifle. So I was on the fence when Benjamin came out with the Marauder? In the end, it was the best money I ever spent. It is just so fun to shoot. I gave my Gamo Springer away as there was no comparison. I ended up buying another Marauder in .25 caliber, in their Synthetic version. All I can say is "Wow"! I was not disappointed. If you get a chance to shoot one, you'll see what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
HuntnCarve said:

I bought a Benjamin Marauder in .22 Cal. (wooden stock model) a year ago. It's a PCP that you pump up to 3000 PSI with a high pressure hand pump. I purchased it as a combination package; [Rifle, Pump, Scope, Mounts, pellets,bipod and hard case] for $750. I get about 40 shots before it needs re-charged. It has internal baffles in a shrouded barrel that make it very guiet. It is extremely accurate! Pellets run about $25 for 650 (.22 cal.)pellets. Years back I scoffed at the idea of buying a PCP air rifle. So I was on the fence when Benjamin came out with the Marauder? In the end, it was the best money I ever spent. It is just so fun to shoot. I gave my Gamo Springer away as there was no comparison. I ended up buying another Marauder in .25 caliber, in their Synthetic version. All I can say is "Wow"! I was not disappointed. If you get a chance to shoot one, you'll see what I'm talking about.
Thanks, I was just looking at both the Marauder and the Benjamin Discovery. I was actually leaning toward the Discovery in .22 due to the cost and easy of pumping it to 2000 lbs vs 3000 for the Marauder. I've read online that it gets tough to pump the Marauder, what's your experience?

·
Registered
22 Posts
The trick is to not shoot the Marauder completely empty. I pump mine up to 3000 PSI then shoot it down to 2000 PSI. -I get 30-40 shots in the .22 caliber version. But only 16 shots in the .25 caliber version, as it uses more air per shot. Regardless, it only takes 60-65 pump strokes on the high pressure pump to recharge the rifle from 2000 to 3000 PSI. It's not hard in my estimation. Any adult should be able to accomplish this feat using just their body weight to compress the pump. It is recommended that you only pump 15 -20 times, then take a break for a minute or so to allow the pump to cool. Reason being the pump generates heat, which will eat up the rubber O-rings inside the pump. When I got my first Marauder and pump I was expecting it to be an effort to pump up the rifle. It was not, and was relatively easy.
The Discovery is a good rifle. I thought about getting one initially. But went with the Marauder because it has a ten shot magazine. The Discovery is a single shot. But the main thing is the Marauder has a "shrouded" barrel verses the Discovery. So it is really, really quiet. The Discovery "cracks" like a standard Springer. Neighbors cannot hear the Marauder at all. The biggest noise one hears is the pellet smacking the target.
Another good feature about PCP rifles is that you can put any scope on them without fear of destroying the scope. Spring powered air rifles have trashed many scopes over the years. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
HuntnCarve said:
The trick is to not shoot the Marauder completely empty. I pump mine up to 3000 PSI then shoot it down to 2000 PSI. -I get 30-40 shots in the .22 caliber version. But only 16 shots in the .25 caliber version, as it uses more air per shot. Regardless, it only takes 60-65 pump strokes on the high pressure pump to recharge the rifle from 2000 to 3000 PSI. It's not hard in my estimation. Any adult should be able to accomplish this feat using just their body weight to compress the pump. It is recommended that you only pump 15 -20 times, then take a break for a minute or so to allow the pump to cool. Reason being the pump generates heat, which will eat up the rubber O-rings inside the pump. When I got my first Marauder and pump I was expecting it to be an effort to pump up the rifle. It was not, and was relatively easy.
The Discovery is a good rifle. I thought about getting one initially. But went with the Marauder because it has a ten shot magazine. The Discovery is a single shot. But the main thing is the Marauder has a "shrouded" barrel verses the Discovery. So it is really, really quiet. The Discovery "cracks" like a standard Springer. Neighbors cannot hear the Marauder at all. The biggest noise one hears is the pellet smacking the target.
Another good feature about PCP rifles is that you can put any scope on them without fear of destroying the scope. Spring powered air rifles have trashed many scopes over the years. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the response. I've had or have a few cheaper air rifles, co2 and a Crossman 760 pump gun. They are fun to shoot and certainly inexpensive.

I just found a Discovery in .22 caliber that has a Center Point 3-9x40 Adventure Class Scope and rings along with the Benjamin Pump at a really good price. I'm going to try it and worst case, I'll get hooked and end up upgrading to a Marauder or some other higher priced gun.

I'm disabled and need to shoot sitting. That was the concern about the pump, wasn't sure if I could handle the higher psi of the Marauder.

I thought about a Springer but wasn't sure if I could easily handle the break barrel cocking.

With the way things are going I don't know how long the .22lr shortage will last and I'm tired of waiting and I refuse to pay the inflated prices. Plus I can shoot the Discovery in the back yard, we have plenty of space and separation from the neighbors. So this might turn out for the good.

Now if the weather would just cooperate and warm up already!

PS, So when you are ready to sell that .22 Marauder you know you have at least one interested party in Upper Bucks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts