The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a Ruger Air Magnum last nite.That bugger is a heck of a shooter.The owners manual doesn,t give a lot of info on cleanin em.Do any of you all with experience with these have any tips and recommend any cleaning tools.I never seen any cleanin supplies for air rifles before.

·
Registered
303 Posts
you can get cleaning pellets from amazon.com. just load them and shoot them to clean the barrel.DON'T use a metal rod or wire brush. it will ruin your barrel you also want to look for air chamber lube.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
I seen a cleaning kit with the lube and rod at my local wallymart the other day in the same area as there air rifle.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Be careful, don't put your eye out!

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
You should be able to get between 500-1500 shots before you need to clean the barrel on a spring air rifle (once properly cleaned first). The cleaning kits are good, just watch out for the steel rods in them...very easy to nick or ding a barrel and effectively ruin the gun. The cleaning pellets are worthless. They do nothing to remove lead fouling though even that happens slowly. Whatever you do, DO NOT use any oil of any kind (unless 100% approved for springers) in the firing chamber as you can gat detonation of the oil under the extreme pressure and ruin the gun. Also, never...EVER dry fire it!!! With no pellet in the breech to create back pressure in the chamber, you WILL ruin the gun's seals and spring in as little as one shot. As you can see there's a lot you can do to ruin the gun...just gotta remember what not to do. Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts