The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to try my hand at sqirrel hunting, but don't know the firearm regulations. There are plenty of squirrels around me, but I am concerned about shooting into the trees with a rifle since there are a few houses On the ither side of the hill. I am wondering if there is a restriction on using an air rifle for squirrels.

·
Registered
18,627 Posts
Contact your rep to make it happen. Rep Matt Gabler has a bill ready to go that would transfer regulatory control of air power to the PGC. I sent me letter of support. He needs to hear from more.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
You are sending yourself letters of support now?

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can do that. Dan Moul is my rep. He's a great guy and always willing to listen to folks. He was one of the cosponsors for the bill to expand Castle Doctrine in PA.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
Why not trap and transfer?
Even with an air rifle that is strong enought to kill a squirrel,your shooting in the direction of houses.

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
Hunting digest for regs!.....read it...does a mind wonders!

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
Under season and bag limits..there is stuff about arms and amunition

·
Registered
18,627 Posts
John S said:
You are sending yourself letters of support now?
I get so beat up over some issues sometimes it helps.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
buckinnuts said:
I will look again. I'm sick today, so not in the clearest frame of mind. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
SigGuy said:
buckinnuts said:
I will look again. I'm sick today, so not in the clearest frame of mind. Thanks for the info.
Just found it, thanks. No mention of restrictions on air rifle, though. But I trust the folks on here about the regs. Guess I can still use my shotgun.

·
Registered
24,761 Posts
from the law books

title 58
§ 141.22. Small game.

(a) Permitted devices. It is lawful to hunt small game, except woodchucks with the following devices:

(1) A manually operated rifle or handgun. The firearm must be .23 caliber or less, that projects single-projectile ammunition.

(2) A manually operated or semiautomatic centerfire shotgun or muzzleloading shotgun. The firearm must be 10 gauge or less, that projects multiple-projectile shotgun ammunition not larger than #4 lead, #2 steel, or #4 of any other composition or alloy of nontoxic shot approved by the Director of the United States Fish and Wildlife Service or an authorized representative under 50 CFR 20.134 (relating to nontoxic shot).

(3) A muzzleloading rifle or handgun. The firearm must be .40 caliber or less, that projects single-projectile ammunition.

(4) A bow and arrow.

(5) A crossbow and bolt.

(6) A raptor. The raptor must be lawfully possessed under a falconry permit pursuant to section 2925 of the act (relating to falconry permits).

(b) Prohibitions. It is unlawful to:

(1) Use or possess single-projectile ammunition larger than .23 caliber or multiple-projectile shotgun ammunition larger than #4 lead, #2 steel, or #4 of any other composition or alloy of nontoxic shot approved by the Director of the United States Fish and Wildlife Service or an authorized representative under 50 CFR 20.134 (relating to nontoxic shot), except as authorized under section 2525 of the act (relating to possession of firearm for protection of self or others).

(2) Possess a firearm while hunting with a raptor, except as authorized under section 2525 of the act.

(3) Discharge a firearm within 150 yards of a Commission vehicle releasing pheasants.

(4) Use or possess a device not provided for in the act or in this section.

(5) Hunt in a party of more than six persons. This does not apply to waterfowl or dove hunters when hunting from a blind or other stationary position.

and furthermore

Title 34
Sec. 2308. Unlawful devices and methods. (a) General rule.--Except as otherwise provided in this title, it is unlawful for any person to hunt or aid, abet, assist or conspire to hunt any game or wildlife through the use of: (1) An automatic firearm or similar device. (2) A semiautomatic rifle or pistol. (3) Reserved. (4) A semiautomatic shotgun or magazine shotgun for hunting or taking small game, furbearers, turkey or unprotected birds unless the shotgun is plugged to a two-shell capacity in the magazine. (5) Any device operated by air, chemical or gas cylinder by which a projectile of any size or kind can be discharged or propelled.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts