The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reading the digest, it would seem that it's 150 yards, as nothing appears to state otherwise, and the safety zone for all hunting is set to 150 with an explicit exemption for archery hunting.

So with that said...

it seems like 150 yards for air guns might be able to be revisited? I can very safely hunt squirrels in my back yard, but I cannot get 150 yards from the neighbors' house.

I could, however, set up soda cans and plink them in my yard with no issue. I just can't shoot the squirrels that make my dogs go ballistic, lol.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
While all that may be true, the state BB gun and air rifle laws says you may not shoot so your projectile goes onto another property. I think they should just leave the safety zone law alone. Having people with air rifles some of which are pretty powerful, hunting close to homes isn't going to do anything for the image of hunters. A hole through the window or the siding of a home from an air rifle as opposed to a firearm isn't going to make a difference to the home owner.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
You can hunt within a safety zone..... you just need to get permission from ALL landowners involved. I'd get that in writing and carry it on me when hunting.... we were bothered more by local cops than WCO's in some of our suburban goose fields. I also had my range finder after they came out.

·
Registered
6,695 Posts
You can hunt within a safety zone..... you just need to get permission from ALL landowners involved. I'd get that in writing and carry it on me when hunting.... we were bothered more by local cops than WCO's in some of our suburban goose fields. I also had my range finder after they came out.

Everything should be 150 yards unless one has permission.

·
Super Moderator
7,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Including a bow?

You have to make a pretty conscious effort to send an arrow 150 yards.

If you think about 50 yards in comparison to an arrow's effective range, vs 150 in comparison to a centerfire rifle. who's hunting "closer" than the other?

·
Registered
6,695 Posts
Including a bow?

You have to make a pretty conscious effort to send an arrow 150 yards.

If you think about 50 yards in comparison to an arrow's effective range, vs 150 in comparison to a centerfire rifle. who's hunting "closer" than the other?

Yep. Little effort to get an arrow over 50 yards with todays technological advances found in archery gear.

Wait until the airbow takes hold and listen to the argument that will occur over what a safety zone should be for it. A lot of hypocrisy will come to light.

·
Registered
6,695 Posts
tdd....to better relate to you how I personally view safety zones, I see the safety zone being as much or more about respect than safety. I know my view may seem controversial and anti-archery but I don't care how close someone hunts..or traps, if the parties involved are fine with it. I see forcing homeowners to accept someone sitting 50 yards away as leaning towards being disrespectful. Just the way I feel about it. Nothing personal.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I can understand the thought of modifying the safety zone distance for air rifles, but then the regs for safety zones will end up looking like the floresent orange regs and as has been discussed in other threads, they are a mess. Easier to get nieghbors/landowners permission.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Why would anyone hunt in an area where it would be known to antagonize non hunters or other land owners?
Is it so important to get your bird and give hunters another black eye.
Legal does not always mean the intelligent or most considerate path.
Hunters continue to be their own worst enemies. How about respect?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts