The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it legal to hunt anything with air guns in PA? Small game is my primary interest.

·
Registered
13,867 Posts
Nope.

Title 34, Chapt. 23 (a) Sec. 2308. Unlawful devices and methods.

(a) General rule. - Except as otherwise provided in this title, it is unlawful for any person to hunt or aid, abet, assist or conspire to hunt any game or wildlife through the use of:

(1) An automatic firearm or similar device.

(2) A semiautomatic rifle or pistol.

(3) Reserved.

(4) A semiautomatic shotgun or magazine shotgun for hunting or taking small game, furbearers, turkey or unprotected birds unless the shotgun is plugged to a two-shell capacity in the magazine.

<span style="color: #FF0000">(5) Any device operated by air, chemical or gas cylinder by which a projectile of any size or kind can be discharged or propelled. </span>

·
Registered
7,792 Posts
Not that Sparrows or Chipmunks are on the decline but NO. This is but another antiquated law which exists for no other reason than to exist.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thats what I was trying to find thanks PADingo. Big Ken I agree-we have way too many and enforcement of some impossible and many just don't even try to enfore. Instead of one we need 5 ....thanks again PADingo

·
Registered
432 Posts
the law states "air". To me that means a CO2 powered gun. Not a 1200fps break action .177 hunting rifle.

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
eistea15 said:
the law states "air". To me that means a CO2 powered gun. Not a 1200fps break action .177 hunting rifle.
(5) Any device operated by air, chemical or gas cylinder by which a projectile of any size or kind can be discharged or propelled.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
No, you are wrong, air does not mean C02. Unlawfull devices:

(5) Any device operated by air, chemical or gas cylinder by which a projectile of any size or kind can be discharged or propelled.

In addition, if not spefically mentioned as a legal in regulations is an illegal device and you will not find air rifles or bb guns mentioned as legal devices.

·
Registered
28,480 Posts
Timely thread , We got a GAMO 1200 delivered last night from Cabela's FOR TARGET SHOOTING and practicing the form of rifle shooting, and of course my littlest son (6) said something like that is going to my hunting rifle
...and my 12 year old HTE graduate jumped in quickly and said "No, you are not allowed to hunt with them cause they want you to kill an animal and not just wound it"

I got the scope mounted last night but it will first hit the range this weekend for site in and first shots. I never shot this type air rifle before but the pellet is stated to travel at 1200fps, which i would think could take a small critters life in the head, maybe the chest...but we won't find out. I am real happy with the feel of it, it is not your childhood crossman that is for sure.

If it were legal to hunt with I would of bought one of the bigger models they have for that purpose, not the 1200. Hope it shoots well and serves its purpose.

·
Registered
25,594 Posts
Answer this, What do you think propels the projectile in your .177 caliber break action hunting rifle?
If it's a single shot "break action" rimfire rifle such as the 17 HRM; 17 cal. rimfire Mach2; or any 17 cal. centerfire, that projectile would be propelled by the gas produced by the burning of the (powder) propellant...and therefore a legal arm with which to hunt certain species here in PA.

·
Registered
13,867 Posts
DennyF said:
Answer this, What do you think propels the projectile in your .177 caliber break action hunting rifle?
If it's a single shot "break action" rimfire rifle such as the 17 HRM; 17 cal. rimfire Mach2; or any 17 cal. centerfire, that projectile would be propelled by the gas produced by the burning of the (powder) propellant...and therefore a legal arm with which to hunt certain species here in PA.
OK, so you got me on technicalities..... The title in the post said "Air Gun hunting in PA"

·
Registered
12,257 Posts
Yep, I often wondered whhat kinds of guns are propelled by "chemicals" and whether that included firearms. The legislature must have had some reason to include that language. May be they meant a carbide cannon.

·
Registered
13,867 Posts
What...I can't go turkey hunting this year with the spud gun?

With two turkeys in the bag, we got to sit back and enjoy the rest of our stay. I noticed a strange looking object in the corner of the bunkhouse that looked somewhat like a bright red bazooka. Franklin related as to how it was a potato gun, fueled by cheap hair spray (the same type of weapon the late Governor Lawton Chiles used during his second inaugura­tion). Apparently, when a lighter is held to the containerized spray, the gun expels a spud not only with tremendous velocity, but a fair bit of accuracy. For several years, the camps have held a contest of skill to see who could score more points by knocking off body parts of a plywood depiction of the Skunk Ape. For those not in the know, the Skunk Ape is a cousin to the fabled Yeti, or Abominable Snowman, and is reputed to haunt the Big Cypress. Indeed, the International Headquarters for Skunk Ape Research is located near Big Cypress, and there are reported sightings every once in awhile. The HQ sells Skunk Ape related items, likely lovely key chains and unique mouse pads showing the Ape in all its glory. Anyhow, the sad part of the story is that due to the present economic slump, the Skunk Ape Shootoff had to be cancelled this season. Life ain’t fair sometimes.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts

Gez, all guns are operated by air they need air to burn and all of them operate with a cylinder (shell casing) that contains a mixture of chemical substances (gunpowder). Hope no body ever interprets the law like this.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
That is really a stretch. A firearm cartridge is not a gas cylinder so I doubt you will ever have to worry about your interpretation. Waht the law means is pretty darn clear unless someone wants it to be otherwise.

·
Registered
28,480 Posts
You certainly can tell lawyers write this stuff so they can argue about it later.

In a lawyer free world it would just say "No gunpowder, no dice."
, I can't believe it went two pages....ahhhh the off season.

·
Banned
621 Posts
I for one wish PA would allow hunting with air rifles. If they adopted a minimum of 950FPS advertised as a spec so no one is out there with their Red Ryder ( LOL ) My Gamo is 1000FPS with lead, more with alloy and it is deadly accurate. Other states (oh that is the issue we are a Commonwealth) allow air gun usage. I saw a video where a hunter used a Gamo .25 and dropped a hog, one shot to the head.

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
Heck you can hunt deer with an air rifle in some midwestern states........I know Missouri for sure

1 - 20 of 27 Posts