The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
20,151 Posts
The ATA recently put out a position on the air bow at the request of state management agencies. They do not consider it a bow. I agree that it is an air rifle that shoots arrows as projectiles and it should be regulated as an air rifle.

<span style="font-style: italic">WASHINGTON — At the request of its members and representatives of state wildlife agencies, the Archery Trade Association (ATA) Board of Directors has released a position statement concerning airbows. The statement was drafted immediately following the organization’s summer board meeting in Washington, DC, July 11-12.
The ATA’s full position statement on airbows is below:
POSITION STATEMENT ON AIRBOWS
July 16, 2016
The ATA was asked by its members and representatives of state wildlife agencies for its opinion regarding whether airbows constitute archery equipment. While the ATA certainly recognizes the airbow to be an innovative piece of shooting equipment, the airbow nevertheless lacks basic components of standard archery equipment (e.g., a string system and limbs). For this reason, the ATA does not consider airbows to be archery equipment.
In addition, the airbow (unlike archery equipment) is not subject to federal excise tax, the basic funding mechanism for state wildlife agency activities, which means no portion of the proceeds from airbow purchases contribute to the state wildlife conservation activities supported by Pittman Robertson funds – at least not to the ATA’s knowledge. As a consequence, airbows do not appear to be treated as archery equipment by the Internal Revenue Service or the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.
Currently, state wildlife agencies are considering if airbows should be included in hunting seasons and, if so, the seasons in which airbows belong. In general, the ATA leaves the hunting seasons and regulations governing the use of hunting equipment to each state’s wildlife agency and its hunters. Yet ATA also strongly supports the long-standing traditions of fair-chase hunting and equal opportunity for all hunters.</span>

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
How loud are those things? Even at 450 fps you are going to have some ducking deer.

They should only be allowed in rifle. But i feel as though some may push it to be used in early muzzleloader too.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I agree, there is no place for this in archery season. But I would not oppose it being considdered a "lesser" weapon in any other season where a long gun could be used.

Heck, I would prbly even buy one to use in muzzy season. I for one like variety!

·
Registered
26,066 Posts
blackpowder said:
I see the new air bows are being sold at Cabela's. $899.99, 450 fps and 2" groups at 50 yards. impressive!
thats just for the bow. then you have to buy the charging system for it. a special hand pump is cheaper than the 200.00 air tank and the arrows, WOW, twice the price or more of regular arrows.

legal for just about everything in Arizona, plenty of stuff to hunt in South Carolina. check out the map.

http://www.cabelas.com/category/Crosman-Airbows/1107664380.uts

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
treed74 said:
How loud are those things? Even at 450 fps you are going to have some ducking deer.
I watched the airbow being shot on the demo range at the sports show in Harrirbug in February. Trust me, they are very loud.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
I see absolutely no difference between them and a crossbow as far as ease of use.
They are both simply a point and shoot weapon that takes very little time or skill to master.
I'd love to hear somebody intelligently discuss why a crossbow should be legal and an airbow illegal for archery season.
I don't care either way. The way of the world anymore is to make everything easier and more streamlined so everybody gets a fair chance and a trophy at the end of the season.
If that's the game you want to join, go ahead and play.
I'll continue to play by my own rules.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Fairchild #17 said:
I see absolutely no difference between them and a crossbow as far as ease of use.
They are both simply a point and shoot weapon that takes very little time or skill to master.
I'd love to hear somebody intelligently discuss why a crossbow should be legal and an airbow illegal for archery season.
I don't care either way.
Yes

·
Registered
20,151 Posts
Fairchild #17 said:
I will attempt it.

Modern archery equipment including compound bows have about reached a wall as far as performance goes. Crossbows, being newer in the scene, have kept creeping up performance wise over the years, but have also reached a performance ceiling recently. The fastest crossbow today is not shooting much faster than the fastest crossbow 7 years ago. There is a reason performance gains have slowed dramatically. Only so much can be done to propel arrows from energy stored in drawn limbs in a package that hunters are willing to hunt with.

Air powered weapons have only recently began to experience significant investment in technology and growth. The performance they are now achieving with air technology has advanced greatly and powering arrows in these rifles is in its beginning. It is very likely that speeds will be able to be increased dramatically with this technology in ways not capable with traditional hand drawn limbs.

The greatest concern for recognizing air rifles shooting arrows as archery equipment is that performance is likely to increase significantly, since this is brand new technology, well beyond the capabilities of what we recognize as archery equipment in most of the country today.

The concern is not necessary about the now, but the later. Bows shooting 350-425fps have not significantly changed the archery hunting landscape. Most feel that new technologies capable of shooting arrows at 600-800fps or greater have the potential to change that landscape in negative and measurable ways.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Fairchild #17 said:
They are both simply a point and shoot weapon that takes very little time or skill to master......

The way of the world anymore is to make everything easier and more streamlined so everybody gets a fair chance and a trophy at the end of the season.
This. This right here !!

·
Registered
26,066 Posts
i think we should be forced to hunt with the stun Phasers they use on star trek, as soon as the technology makes them available.

that way, we can "shoot" the animal, take trophy photos with the animal and even have it entered in the record books.

that way, everyone can hunt the same animal and make it fair.

we can all become vegetarians, get healthy and lower the cost of our health insurance.

this of course would all be forced upon us by law after Hillary becomes President.

OMG, i just puked in my mouth.

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
dpms said:
Fairchild #17 said:
I will attempt it.

Modern archery equipment including compound bows have about reached a wall as far as performance goes. Crossbows, being newer in the scene, have kept creeping up performance wise over the years, but have also reached a performance ceiling recently. The fastest crossbow today is not shooting much faster than the fastest crossbow 7 years ago. There is a reason performance gains have slowed dramatically. Only so much can be done to propel arrows from energy stored in drawn limbs in a package that hunters are willing to hunt with.

Air powered weapons have only recently began to experience significant investment in technology and growth. The performance they are now achieving with air technology has advanced greatly and powering arrows in these rifles is in its beginning. It is very likely that speeds will be able to be increased dramatically with this technology in ways not capable with traditional hand drawn limbs.

The greatest concern for recognizing air rifles shooting arrows as archery equipment is that performance is likely to increase significantly, since this is brand new technology, well beyond the capabilities of what we recognize as archery equipment in most of the country today.

The concern is not necessary about the now, but the later. Bows shooting 350-425fps have not significantly changed the archery hunting landscape. Most feel that new technologies capable of shooting arrows at 600-800fps or greater have the potential to change that landscape in negative and measurable ways.
good post. it will be interesting to see how these evolve down the road. 600-800 fps could be right around the corner.

·
Registered
7,079 Posts
Strut10 said:
Fairchild #17 said:
They are both simply a point and shoot weapon that takes very little time or skill to master......

The way of the world anymore is to make everything easier and more streamlined so everybody gets a fair chance and a trophy at the end of the season.
This. This right here !!
Classify it as a muzzleloader and give it a 50 yard safety zone.

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
Fairchild #17 said:
I don't care either way. The way of the world anymore is to make everything easier and more streamlined so everybody gets a fair chance and a trophy at the end of the season.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.