The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see some feel fairly confident on shots around 50 yds. To those with experience, on a shot with a quality crossbow that measures greater than 300 fps, how much is the reaction of the deer to the noise of release factored into aiming of a lonnger shot?

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I would not take a 50 yard shot--so your question is pointless to me.

I'll go one step further---nobody should be taking 50 yard shots!

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I thought but I read an independent review on a higher quality crossbow stating it could make a reliable killing shot at 50 yds. Seemed surprising to me to me so that why I threw this out there.

·
Registered
18,800 Posts
JetMaxx said:
how much is the reaction of the deer to the noise of release factored into aiming of a lonnger shot?
First, no one should factor a deer's reaction to a shot into where they aim, IMO. Put the pin or the crosshair where you want you arrow to go and shoot at unalerted animals.

Second, while modern archery equipment is capable of sustaining killing energy to 50 yards and beyond, I would never shoot at a live target that far.

I understand that some do, but it is not for me.

·
Registered
577 Posts
dpms said:
JetMaxx said:
how much is the reaction of the deer to the noise of release factored into aiming of a lonnger shot?
First, no one should factor a deer's reaction to a shot into where they aim, IMO. Put the pin or the crosshair where you want you arrow to go and shoot at unalerted animals.

Second, while modern archery equipment is capable of sustaining killing energy to 50 yards and beyond, I would never shoot at a live target that far.

I understand that some do, but it is not for me.
agree

·
Registered
30 Posts
With the crossbow that I have (strykeforce) It's shooting around 390-fps I pactice at 40-65 yards with a groupe at less than 2". My arrow at 50 yards seems to reach the target faster then a arrow shot from a slower bow at 30 yards. If conditions where right I would take that shot.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Well according to a group which i'm not gona say the same of,, they say that crossbows with scopes on them can shoot 1 inch groups at 100 yards...i've already took a 30 yard shot on a groundhog with my compound,,, so yes i would take a 50 yard shot with my crossbow IF i had a steady enough rest

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
do not shoot to 50 yards...and I promise you the Compound users will keep a better group. I do with my bow after 30 yards. With my Crossbow nothing after 30 yards...

·
Registered
509 Posts
Why do people feel that it is important to answer peoples question by telling them that their question is pointeless to them....who ASKED YOU IF YOU FELT HIS QUESTION WAS POINTFUL OR POINTLESS CATSKINNER? You can smoke a deer at 50 yards with a modern crossbow or compound if you practice at that range......a feeding deer unaware may have no reaction to the shot, it depends on the other sounds like wind, leaves rustling, if the deer is already alert then wait till it calms down and take the shot or hold off. These modern crossbows are very capable of making 50 yard shots.....if you are capable of making 50 yard shots with it......just be aware of the situation.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Out west in open country hunters routinely take 40 to 60 yard shots on game.......so why should NOBODY east of the Mississippi do it, moose and elk hunters along with mule deer hunters practice these shots and do very well so if people think that you cant they are WRONG......if you are insecure with your shooting then dont do it but if you are confident and the situation allows, do it! Dont ever let anyone on here tell you what range you should feel confident at.....thats how you stop progressing and how you stop challenging yourself

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Those of you with an open mind might do well to take a look at this crossbow arrow ballistic table.

The facts simply don't agree with the claims being made by some. The flight time of an arrow; one to 30 yards and one to 50 yards, shot from bows of 50 fps difference in initial velocity---the slower arrow will be at the 30 yard mark in 50% less time than the faster arrow shot to 50 yards.

Look at the drop rates at 50 yards. I target shoot from 20 to 40 yards--which has convinced me that 30 yards is about the maximum I'm willing to do. I become personally very doubtful of claims of tight repetitive groups at these long distances, I can hold a 2" group at 20 yards, I also know what that opens up to at 40 yards.

Idle claims are easily made, bending the laws of physics is a little more constraining.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
An arrow shot from a crossbow that shoots at 300 fps would likely hit a 50 yd target at a shade over .5/second considering slowing over the course of travel. Seems like a relatively long time for a deer to jump that noise in quiet conditions.

I ask because I hunt a spot with a good amount of deer activity and an increase in range from 25 yds to 50 yds would substantially increase my success rate(as I'm sure would be the case with most archery hunters). My current setup limits me to confident shots at no greater than 25 yds. With the claims of 50 yd kill shots for some of the higher end crossbows, I figure I would throw it out there to the forum in order to get the thoughts of those much more experienced than myself before I made a rather significant investment.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I understand ballistic tables, they are correct, but the reality of it is that the equiptment is still very capable of making a clean kill at 50 yards....you are losing speed and energy, but humane kills are made within the longer ranges......for shooting at an x is different than shooting at the vitals of a large game animal......I agree that conditions should influence your decision to take the shot, your experience should influence your decision to take the shot, but 50 yards is not an extreme range for an experienced shooter....even if it "opens up at 40 yards" if you are shooting a 6 inch group you will put a whitetail down at 50 yards....i dont dispute physics when its on paper but seeing a 50 yard shot with both a compound and a crossbow on whitetail deer resulting in a humane kill on more than one occasion can not be denied.......its not luck and with modern equiptment isnt very hard to do.

·
Registered
615 Posts
your bows shoots 300fps ....... soon as your bolt leaves the string its slowing down....so at 50yrds it is not traveling at 300fps youll be LUCKY if its 230fps more like 200fps......so your Kenitic energy just dropped alot!..... so then double lung shot just became a single.....knowing this ......do you still pull the trigger? ... dont forget about the deer moving too? .........1/2 gut shot?

·
Registered
18,800 Posts
Keep it civil everyone. Good discussion that should remain so. Not directed at anyone.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
secret said:
your bows shoots 300fps ....... soon as your bolt leaves the string its slowing down....so at 50yrds it is not traveling at 300fps youll be LUCKY if its 230fps more like 200fps......so your Kenitic energy just dropped alot!..... so then double lung shot just became a single.....knowing this ......do you still pull the trigger? ... dont forget about the deer moving too? .........1/2 gut shot?
Why do so many people refuse to look at the data and simply go along amusing themselves with their own beloved misconceptions

Once again.

·
Registered
615 Posts
my bad !!! 12fps less of kenitic.....23fps less......still wouldnt shoot but thats just me........ even with my exocet! tell me how you do!

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Apparently you don't understand the tables. Velocity of an arrow at 50 yards that was fired at 300 fps--per your example is 271 fps---not 200 as you stated.

BTW, kinetic energy is not in fps.

Just for the record--I have already stated I would not take a shot at 50 yards.

·
Registered
30 Posts
we can debate all night but I would just leave it up to the hunter if you know your bow can handle that distants and your more than comfortable taking a 50 yard or greater shot then thats up to you.But today's crossbows are made for accuarcy!

1 - 20 of 63 Posts