The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Adding up all my tracked paths in onX it says we walked just short of 76 miles. We have spent nearly every single day in the woods from 3-4am to close since march(scouting and hunting). That is a ---- of a lot of effort to not even see a turkey. While I had fun....my husband is now put off the experience of hunting in general I think. I guess I should have started him off on deer season or maybe not been so gung-ho. I asked him if he wanted to try tomorrow and he said "---- no" lol... so it is likely our first and last season hunting pa. Its a shame cause he really did like this encounter in the woods.*picture*

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,757 Posts
I would highly encourage a different species.

A GREAT one would be squirrels in the fall. Weather's still decent, there's TONS of the little jerks, and lots of ways to get them.

·
Registered
25 Posts
76 miles divided by appx. 60 days of scout/hunt walking shows, on average, 1.25 miles of walking per day from start point to destination and return, or, a bit over 500 yards in one direction. 1-1/4 miles may be a great distance depending on terrain, conditioning, age, etc. for some hunters, and to others, a quick walk. It’s all relative.

Hunting can be hard work. It’s great you had fun, though even though your objective was to see a gobbler. If you need to see game in order to hold his interest you might have to switch to hunting a turkey rich area. Guaranteed, it only takes one encounter with a gobbler close up and you’ll be hooked forever! Try hunting fall flocks this autumn. Lots of excitement there, too.

·
Registered
6,104 Posts
I agree with Bohunr and Fullmoon , . His first year might have been a bust and discouraging , that is nothing to quit over. Try other areas and other game animals to hunt . I some times don`t see or get anything while out hunting but I still go and try to see something , even if it means switching things up to do it.

·
Super Moderator
7,757 Posts
You're hunting the same areas I do. It's TOUGH.

There's a lot of hunters. There's not many turkeys. And many hunters will/do not respect others, meaning they'll hunt on top of you, try to cut off a bird, etc. It's a product of the heavy hunter competition for a limited turkey resource.

I've started setting my sights in other areas of the state. To the point that I may buy a tent and next season make it my approach that I hit areas north and west and leave after work on Friday, stay overnight where is cheapest, and hunt Saturday, getting home Sat. evening.

If nothing else, I'll get to explore all of PA and not keep banging my head on the same rocks here. :)

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I commend you for your dedication and effort, it's not easy and not everyone would do that even if they have the time. I think for new hunters a certain amount of success in taking game or at least frequent enough sightings/chances are essential to them being enthusiastic about hunting. Deer, turkey, and bear generally don't provide that level of success unless you have some really prime locations to hunt, even then a bit of luck doesn't hurt. Some good suggestions here to try squirrel hunting, etc. Would be a shame to lose another potential hunter in our already shrinking ranks.

·
Registered
16,458 Posts
i happen to be a lousy Turkey hunter and an even worse caller. i got a nice tom this spring simply by being where they like to go. i know they go to a certain field all the time so i went there. when they gobbled i yelped. they gobbled again, i yelped. i figured they know where i am they will eventually come and look.

a nice tom walked out almost behind me, and gobbled. i let him get in front and he stopped around 15 or 20 yards and i took him home :) he came in because he wanted to be there not because i called him in. i had just as much fun listening to them gobble, watched a hen walk across the field and saw several deer before the gobbler volunteered to help me test my new (to me) 10 gauge. tell him to stick with it...its a blast.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,358 Posts
I've been an enthusiastic birder for over 70 years, and on numerous occasions this interest in smaller members of the avian species has maintained my enthusiasm for spring gobbler season.

A good example of this occurred Thursday morning in Tioga State Forest. I arrived at my chosen oak tree just as dawn broke, and a nearby ovenbird and a wood thrush reluctantly accepted my intrusion. I chose not to disturb the spot with calling, holding off until I heard the first crows greet the morning.

Until the rain started around 9:30 A.M., I sat and enjoyed numerous recent neo-tropical migrants all about me. I didn't hear a single gobble as I made my way back to the truck, but my final outing for the season recorded a dozen plus migrating song birds.

A gobble or two would have been welcomed, but a scarlet tanager and a red-eyed vireo close at hand are also a thrill. So, consider adding birding to your spring gobbler outings.:wink2:

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Turkey hunting is tough. It's not like TV portrays it. There are many other species to hunt. Archery hunting for deer is fun. I enjoy hunting whether I get something or not. Hunting is not for everyone and it does take time and effort but the rewards are great. I hope you continue to hunt even if your husband doesn't. He is the one missing out because spending time with his wife is a great thing. Not many guys can say their wife wants to go hunting with him!

·
Registered
6,104 Posts
For me any time I`m in the woods is enjoyable. whether I get something or not. even if I don`t see anything either , I still enjoy being out in the woods. I have been hunting going on 44 years. I enjoyed being out in the woods and hunting and fishing since day one and still do.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Hey I don't blame him or you for "hanging it up" after that kind of effort and no success. I myself quit turkey hunting probably 10 years ago after just 1 week of no sightings. Very frustrating. Like others have said, get out in the fall and go after deer and small game, particularly squirrels. I'm fairly certain that you will have more action, and you don't have to wake up as early. Best of luck in the future!

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Wait till mid June and ask yourself if you miss the season that just ended with all the highs and lows... Then you will know.

·
Super Moderator
12,498 Posts
76 miles....Ouch..... I got a nice gobbler early and I had 4 active roosting locations for 4 difference flocks with 9-20 birds for a chance on my second gobbler however, my sciatica pain set in from my hip trough my leg to my foot. On my next trip back in to a good location the hens led the 3 gobbler just out of easy range, but of course 5 jakes stop all around me with non-stop clucking.

On the way out the pain was excruciating I starting out of the woods only had to go 400 yds. +- down grade. I had to stop and stretch out on the ground 10-15 minutes to start out again. It took 8 such rest stops to get to the vehicle......Ouch...

Took a few days off and went back found the gobblers and hens on another roost as planned....they came down and headed the other way to a field where I have in the same setup been able to beat them to the field and call them right to my corner tree.

However, with the pain I could not make the 200 Yd. walk. So I just laid down on the ground in frustration and listened to the gobblers sound off when then reached my lucky corner tree. After several minutes I climbed back to setting position and made a few calls and got gobbler to sound off on the other hill...there were 2 gobblers and a few hens in sight on a bank 150 yards out. I called again and a third gobbler sounded off, but I could not see him. They all came in and skirted my location behind a rolling mount and a log. They all stopped calling and walked by me with the gobbler at 25 yards, but I could not see the length of his beard so I did not shoot, limped back out of the woods to lay around for a few days.

Went out again similar story a gobbler came into 25 yards, but again...I could not see the length of his beard....didn't shoot.

Finally made a trip to the doc got some pills and some self therapy instructions......rested until the last morning...only walked in about 200 yards set all morning saw groups of hens 9-3-1, but not gobbler.....Again walked out in pain and couldn't walk the rest of the day, but a little better today.

Filled out my no second bird harvest report which also cause a lot of pain as, if I could have put in 76 miles I believe I would had had several chances to get the second gobbler as I know where they were roosting, strutting and feeding....

Can't waiting until next year.....

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
I always said when hunting becomes not fun anymore, That`s when I will hang it up....But with all the seasons and all the different game and extra days and extra tags to be had. I am having more fun than ever.....Hang in there. things can and will get better for sure.....

1 - 20 of 48 Posts