The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a new battery for my trolling motor. I see the AGM batteries are twice the cost of a standard lead acid battery.

Are they worth it?

Any recommendations?

·
Super Moderator
4,552 Posts
That’s up to you....personally I’m ok checking the batteries water level a few times a year...I’m a fan of the Duracell’s from Sams club.

·
Registered
11,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That’s up to you....personally I’m ok checking the batteries water level a few times a year...I’m a fan of the Duracell’s from Sams club.
That appears to be the best deal around. They are $82 right now.

Water is not an issue. I'm interested in longevity. Some say AGM last longer and others say they have the same life span as lead acid.

·
Super Moderator
4,552 Posts
Does your charger have an agm setting? I haven’t done any comparison with the lead acid vs agm, but agm may be heavier and definitely more expensive.

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
I like them. Maintained properly they all last a long time. Get a battery tender and when you are not on the water plug it in. I like the AGM for my motorcycles much better than messing around with fluid. ( especially when I fall over)

·
Registered
11,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does the Battery Tender handle AGM. I have 4 Battery Tenders but none handy to look at.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
the biggest difference between the 2 types of batteries,,,,,besides the obvious material make up
the AGM batteries resist ,shock , jolts, vibrations and bumps better

because of this trait they are often preferred in ATVs ,jeeps and boats

·
Registered
11,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I picked up a size 27 battery from Sam's Club. The battery was manufactured by Deka. Sam's had the best price in the area.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts