The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Didnt get out this morning but was considering getting out about now. How do the turkey act during the afternoon hours?

·
Super Moderator
12,813 Posts
Spotty...but can be fantastic if you find the right bird...lonely and lookin for love...

Another tactic is patterning them...strut zones, roosts, known feeding areas etc...

·
Registered
179 Posts
^ what he said ^

Hens went about their business hours ago and the boys are looking.

I also like hunting them were they're going to be right before moving to their roosting area.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Pros...called a loooooong beard in today at 4 pm. Saw him on a power line cut on my way home from work in full strut. Changed quick, ran down the road on the 4 wheeler, and snuck within 100 yards. Three sets of yelps had him in my lap.

Cons...too thick, took a gamble at shootin in full strut facing away, with my bow. Misjudged yardage and shot high, straight thru his fan.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Cons- birds don't gobble much (they haven't been gobbling much in the morning either, LOL). Hard to kill one unless you have them patterned or are just lucky.

Pros-you are out turkey hunting and don't have to quit at noon. And, you might have a big smile like me below, I nailed this rascal at 7:00 PM yesterday.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I saw a longbeard in a field tonight with three hens around 6:30. What bad mamas... they should have been on their nest! I had stuff to do or I would have made an attempt on them. I'm gonna try in the morning, but hoping to get some afternoon hunts in. I haven't really tried it before.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Con - Less gobbling. More people out to spook birds before roosting. It can make mornings not as consistent as the first two weeks.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Pros for us, Kids did not have to miss school to hunt.
Birds Gobble just as much as they do in the morning.
Most Gobblers will be looking for hens just prior to roosting
Less hunters screwing us the setup.

Cons, wife hates the fact they we do not do much till all
our tags are filled.

Jr. crushed a gobbler last night at 2023. Bird started gobbling at 1830 till his death. He put on a great show and gobbled just as hard as any of the birds we have killed in the morning..

·
Registered
191 Posts
That's a rarity. There is considerably less gobbling in the evenings on average. It's not even close.

·
Registered
110 Posts
fingerz42 said:
Con - Less gobbling. More people out to spook birds before roosting. It can make mornings not as consistent as the first two weeks.
Yeah but they might bust the hens away from the gobblers right before roosting... which is a good thing.

·
Registered
191 Posts
MOA_Chaser said:
fingerz42 said:
Yeah but they might bust the hens away from the gobblers right before roosting... which is a good thing.
Agreed.

·
Registered
21,147 Posts
Fullfan said:
Pros for us, Kids did not have to miss school to hunt.
Birds Gobble just as much as they do in the morning.
Most Gobblers will be looking for hens just prior to roosting
Less hunters screwing us the setup.

Cons, wife hates the fact they we do not do much till all
our tags are filled.

Jr. crushed a gobbler last night at 2023. Bird started gobbling at 1830 till his death. He put on a great show and gobbled just as hard as any of the birds we have killed in the morning..
I agree.I called in 4 yesterday afternoon to my buddy.They were just pecking away in a field about 200 yards away over a rise.We got set up and they immediately answered my first set of yelps.I yelped again about a minute later and they were almost on top of us.Two jakes came right up to me and a big mature bird came strutting in from behind.My buddy shot and missed and 4 took off.I have no idea what the 4th bird was.Those birds covered a good 200 yards in less than 5 minutes.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
The biggest "con" to me is that I've already got an eight-hour day in by noon! You have to take a mid-day nap or come 8:30 you're looking at a 14.5 hour day...that'll wear anybody down pretty quick. The only afternoon hunting I've done is Kansas...but Rios and Rio hybrids are generally more mouthy at roost time.

·
Registered
436 Posts
"The only afternoon hunting I've done is Kansas...but Rios and Rio hybrids are generally more mouthy at roost time."

Kansas was my first time hunting longbeards in the afternoon, and yes, mouthy Rio's definitely make it easier. Easterns are more tight-lipped, and this year moreso than normal. this year is definitely one to expect quiet afternoons.

·
Registered
9,145 Posts
Hunted for maybe the 3-4th time in the evening last night and took my first bird in the evening.

He was riled up. Strutting all over, chasing a hen in a field when I initially saw him, and gobbled right back at my calls. Strutted right into range before I hammered him.

·
Registered
10,494 Posts
On Wednesday I went out and had one that gobbled 8 or 10 times around 5pm. My set up was bad though. With that being said....that was the most gobbling I have heard since the first Monday.
I am going back there again after work today with a different game plan.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts