The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can one take pictures of deer from a vehicle after spotting hours or are deer not allowed to be looked at after spotting hours? Can I look for any animal after spotting hours from a vehicle or is that illegal also?
My question is? Why are we not allowed to view animals after a certain time from a vehicle?
Are they not put on this planet for our enjoyment 24/7?
Can I use nightvision gear to take pictures of deer and other wildlife as long as I don't use a spotlight?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,590 Posts
im not sure but id have to say the the law is in place to keep you from accidently spotlighting peoples homes and what not after 11. respect for people and the animals. let them be and eat. who knows though...im sure someone that does will chime in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,369 Posts
easterndog said:
Can one take pictures of deer from a vehicle after spotting hours or are deer not allowed to be looked at after spotting hours? Can I look for any animal after spotting hours from a vehicle or is that illegal also?
My question is? Why are we not allowed to view animals after a certain time from a vehicle?
Are they not put on this planet for our enjoyment 24/7?
Can I use nightvision gear to take pictures of deer and other wildlife as long as I don't use a spotlight?
IF you Shine your headlights on a Deer After Legal Spotting hours, Your in the WRONG!

Don't matter if you were just wanting to take a picture of it or wanting to get a look at it with your vehicles headlights and it wasn't a spot light to you!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,369 Posts
Spotlighting Wildlife: It is unlawful to 1) spotlight wildlife while in
possession of a firearm, except by individuals who have a License
to Carry Firearms permit, and only with firearms authorized by the
permit (most sporting arms are not authorized), bow and arrow, or
other device capable of killing wildlife; 2) spotlight wildlife during
the regularly scheduled statewide antlered and antlerless deer seasons
(Nov. 30-Dec. 12), including those days separating the seasons
and including the late firearms deer seasons in WMUs 2B,
5C & 5D; and 3) cast an artificial light upon any building, farm
animal or photoelectric cell. Recreational spotlighting is lawful between
sunrise and 11 p.m., except as previously noted. Spotlighting
includes handheld lights, accessory spotlights on vehicles and
vehicle headlights when intentionally used to locate or view wildlife.
A person hunting raccoons, skunks, opossums, bobcats, weasels,
foxes and coyotes on foot may use a handheld light, including
a gun-mounted light. Furbearer hunters still may not use a flashlight
or spotlight that projects a laser light beam, though.
There it is, in Bold and Underlined...
What most who read the Comic book, over look when reading that law and many others!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
730 Posts
Thats under Title 58, section 2311:

Sec. 2311. Restrictions on recreational spotlighting.

(a) Unlawful acts. - It is unlawful for any person to cast or to assist any other person in casting the rays of a spotlight, vehicle headlight or any other artificial light of any kind from any vehicle, watercraft, airborne craft or any attachment to such vehicles or crafts:

(1) Upon any building at any time.

(2) In any manner which frightens, excites or harasses any livestock, poultry or other farm animal.

(3) To search for or locate for any purpose any game or wildlife anywhere within this Commonwealth, other than specified in paragraph (4), daily between the hours of 11 p.m. and sunrise on the following day.

(4) To search for or locate for any purpose any game or wildlife anywhere within this Commonwealth at any time during the antlered deer rifle season and during the antlerless deer rifle season.

(5) Upon photoelectric cell lights.

The provisions of this subsection shall not apply if it is proven that the headlights of a vehicle or conveyance were being used while traveling on a roadway in the usual way.

(b) Penalty. - A violation of this section is a summary offense of the fifth degree.

"in the usual way" does mean that while traveling a roadway that you are able to stop your vehicle and allow the animals to be illuminated....if your lights hit them briefly while going around a bend or they stop in the middle of the road then you should be ok. Using night vision scopes are permissable as they do not cast a ray of light
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Then night vision is allowed after hours from a vehicle then?
Can night vision scopes be used to hunt with if they do not cast a beam of light as mentioned below?

Furbearer hunters still may not use a flashlight
or spotlight that projects a laser light beam, though.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
26,979 Posts
No, they are an eletronic device not approved for use.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
509 Posts
Another obnoxious law.....but its there so that a red flag goes up that highlites poachers, I think if everyone was allowed to spotlight deer and what not it would be hard to identify poachers since that is typically their MO, stinks but its there because people messed it up for us..poachers that is!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
26,979 Posts
Spotting after hours has nothing to do with a vehicle it is illegal while on foot or horseback as well. Predator hunters may use a light to shoot, they don't go out and shine a light all over creation, they chase animals with dogs and shoot them when treed or sit and call, they don't spotlight. Many night vision devices use IR and UV and IR and UV is artificial light, and any artificial light is prohibited after spotting hours are over.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
John S said:
Predator hunters may use a light to shoot, they don't go out and shine a light all over creation, they chase animals with dogs and shoot them when treed or sit and call, they don't spotlight.
I guess you never been predator hunting. I do go on stand and my spotlight is allways on scanning the area I am calling.
I never turn the light off.
To think it scares an animal is far from the truth. If I am predator hunting how else is someone supposed to see the animal at night if they are not shinning the light all over the place?

And there is no law that says how a person has to hunt predators at night.
Anyone can walk thru the woods or fields shinning a light where ever they want while hunting for predators.
There is no law about how one must use a light while hunting predators.
And I do believe it would be legal to hunt them from a horse or horse and buggy because it is not motorized and they are in pursuit of a predator.
Would I do it. No,it be to loud. But there is no law written about it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,794 Posts
easterndog said:
John S said:
Predator hunters may use a light to shoot, they don't go out and shine a light all over creation, they chase animals with dogs and shoot them when treed or sit and call, they don't spotlight.
I guess you never been predator hunting. I do go on stand and my spotlight is allways on scanning the area I am calling.
I never turn the light off.
To think it scares an animal is far from the truth. If I am predator hunting how else is someone supposed to see the animal at night if they are not shinning the light all over the place?

And there is no law that says how a person has to hunt predators at night.
Anyone can walk thru the woods or fields shinning a light where ever they want while hunting for predators.
There is no law about how one must use a light while hunting predators.
And I do believe it would be legal to hunt them from a horse or horse and buggy because it is not motorized and they are in pursuit of a predator.
Would I do it. No,it be to loud. But there is no law written about it.
In the by laws there's a section stating that you have to be on foot while hunting predators. I'm sure someone is digging that out right now.

I was going to hunt them from an unmotorized boat, but it's a no no.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
26,979 Posts
You get more ridiculous with every post! Who would spotlight in the daytime. Your question was can nightvision devices be used after hours. Shining after hours is illegal whether on foot, in a vehicle or on a horse. I don't know what your game is but it appears you are a troll. If you know ll the answers, why bother to ask a question? BTW, see JJ's post above.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27,829 Posts
psutrapper said:
beartrapper, never received any from you?!?!
Your PM box may be full and needs to be emptied. members get 10 PM's, I think. After that, you cannot receive PM's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
NO I am not a troll. I ask legit questions. Then someone posts something that they know nothing of as in JohnS.
How in the world did he get spotting in daylight hours?
I have no clue.


Originally Posted By: John S
Predator hunters may use a light to shoot, they don't go out and shine a light all over creation, they chase animals with dogs and shoot them when treed or sit and call, they don't spotlight.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,867 Posts
Then someone posts something that they know nothing of as in JohnS.
Yeah, that dude would'nt know Hunting regs if they were in front of him for 25 years.....
 
1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Top