The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well after polishing my shotgun bore at 40 yds its definitely a denser pattern.. im pleased with the slight increase.. i didnt count all pellets, just down the head and spine and there was 12, i can just tell by looking its a denser pattern..heres the photos..

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it looks like my 30yd pattern pre polishing.. I'm definitely confident w it at 40 but I'll stick to keepin it at 30yds or less

·
Premium Member
24,188 Posts
Fullfan said:
you should be able to do better than that...
I thought that too

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thats a 3.5" winchester double x with undertaker choke.. the only other load that really worked out of my gun was a 3.5" Remington Nitro Turkey with #6 but i cant find them around me anywhere

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
See Turkeyboy..your targets look like the rest of ours that truely measure the distance..that pattern will kill any bird that you care to shoot with it at 40 yards. Get yourself some hevi-13's in number 7 and you'll see a much denser pattern, now if they only didn't cost $6.00 per shot,here's mine at 30 yards with #5's..more than enough to harvest any bird... Good Luck and be safe out there!!

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
There a $10/box rebate on Hevi Shot right now, just saying...

·
Registered
7,684 Posts
Tboy...if you don't want to spend the cash for Hevi..go to Walmart and pick up some of the Federal Turkey Thugs shells in 6 shot and give that a go...only $10 a box.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Don't know, I never shot it past 30 yards because I try not to sit in a place where I can see much more than that..the further you can see the further they can see and if they don't see that hen he's not taking a step further..don't believe in decoys or blinds so I limit myself in that way. And that target that I made is the right size, not one of these twice the normal size like those old winchester one..that's a federal 2 oz. #5 and a .655 hastings choke and it's good enough to harvest birds with..won't win any contests but it's enough for me.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Dasher....... Not being smart or critical at all, but I'm thinking with some tinkering you could bring your pattern in a good bit as well. You should be (could be) getting that sort of density at 40 yards instead of 30. If you only choose to shoot 30-ish yards, you're great to go. But, I'm just sayin' ......... there is room to be had for improvement there if you wanted to go for it.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
cmc5028 said:
sounds like bore polishing is waste of time
Not really. Just depends how intent you are to wring EVERY LAST PELLET into your core of density.

Of course, spending as much time as possible trying as many shotshell/choke tube combinations as possible will net you the biggest gains. But there are other things, bore polishing being one of them, that will gain you a few more pellets. It's all in how far you are willing to go to get them.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
seriously, my flat stock Mossberg 500 with Mossberg XX full tube (.670) goes bang every time and the bird goes down everytime...why change that?

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
cmc5028 said:
seriously, my flat stock Mossberg 500 with Mossberg XX full tube (.670) goes bang every time and the bird goes down everytime...why change that?
No reason at all if that's what makes you totally happy.

Some guys are happy with deer rifles that shoot 2"-3" at 100 yards and kill every deer they ever shoot at. Others have to push for that 1/2" load just for personal satisfaction.

Different strokes fer different folks.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
im taking my 3 people out shooting today, so i will try a few more loads i have layin around.. hopefully somethin will put up better numbers.. i know there are much denser patterns out there than mine. im fine with that. i was just hoping to get a lethal pattern at 40 yds, since i wasnt pleased with my results pre polishing. i achieved that and im happy with it. It definitely wasnt a waste of time CMC, that pattern i posted at 40, is what i was achieving at 30yds, so it definitely was a gain for me, it only took maybe an hr to do, and it was a very big stress reliever for me, throwin the radio on, havin the dogs layin on the floor in a nice country home. And now it adds a little bit to mental satisfaction and piece of mind really knowing where my lethal pattern ends. Im not trying to impress anyone or say o look at me look at me, heck, look at Beaglers pattern at 40yds, THAT is impressive. I have a few chokes and loads left here at the house, I just used the ones i had best results with pre polishing.. ill try the others out again today.. more pics later

1 - 20 of 41 Posts