The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Moderator
24,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got to shoot the Horton today. Well it seems I didn't have the cocking rope on right, hey I didn't know I never had one before, but after getting it on right I sighted it in at 20 yards, on sand bags on my oil tank outside.
Here's the last shot but after shooting three more times I put the bolt in the same hole. Oh, i'm shooting 100 gr Thunderheads always did like these Thunderheads

·
Registered
13,867 Posts

Thunderheads have been my broadhead of choice for many years! Did you have any drop from the field points to the Broadheads? I wouldnt expect much at 20 yrds, but thought I would ask. Moss, are you using the same carbons that came with it? Mine was the package deal with the factory scope and quiver.

One question I had was on the rail lube for the Brotherhood, Some folks say yes, other say not needed? It came with rail lube from Horton so I wold assume it requires it every 5-20 shots?

·
Super Moderator
24,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I went and bought a Broadhead target so I used Broadheads to shoot it in. I shot the same arrow at the target. I bought the package deal too and used the arrows that came with it. I started out with a 125gr Thunderhead that I had here at the house. Then I switched to a 100 gr and they shot higher. I then zeroed it in with them, that's what u see in the pic. As far as rail lube I used what they sent be but it wore off in the middle. I can't see why you couldn't use Vaseline for now, i'm going to try it. And no comments from the basement either.

·
Registered
7,007 Posts
Why would anybody comment on your use of vaseline?

·
Registered
649 Posts
i'm shooting 125gr thunderheads as thats what came with my xbow. my bolts are gold tips laser 2's. the thunderheads shot 3 inches low at 20 yds compared to the 125 gr field points. i tried 100 grain muzzys, and they were 2 inches low. both shot good, but i'm using the thunderheads since i had a full box of those. i can't make sense of the difference, but they are accurate. i don't think vaseline would be a good choice. it would gather grit that would be worse for the string imo.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Vaseline is also petroleum based and can deteriorate the string material! DO NOT USE IT ON YOUR RAIL!! It won't happen immediately, but it will happen, believe me. I have seen more than one xbow come into my old store shop for repair after the string "just blew appart!" When I asked the owners what type of rail lube they were using they answered vasoline because they ran out of the stuff that came with the bow.

·
Super Moderator
4,388 Posts
According to the picture of the target, I'd say, your ready for hunting....Nice shootin, Moss..

Good luck, Zumer

·
Registered
400 Posts
Looks good to go!!!

·
Super Moderator
24,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
mightyjoeyoung said:
Vaseline is also petroleum based and can deteriorate the string material! DO NOT USE IT ON YOUR RAIL!! It won't happen immediately, but it will happen, believe me. I have seen more than one xbow come into my old store shop for repair after the string "just blew appart!" When I asked the owners what type of rail lube they were using they answered vasoline because they ran out of the stuff that came with the bow.
I didn't put any on tonight i'll get a tube of the good stuff.

·
Registered
400 Posts
jigaloo or stringsnot rail lube

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I have used Jigaloo for well over 500 shots on my 09 Strykeforce. No serving wear with the original string, will replace it after this season with a viper X. I hope it gives as good of service!

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
I tested Rail Snot and it's the ONLY rail lube that I can say that I like. That being said, I still don't use rail lube most of the time.

·
Registered
8,449 Posts
arrowhead said:
I tested Rail Snot and it's the ONLY rail lube that I can say that I like. That being said, I still don't use rail lube most of the time.
what are the advatages and disadvantages of not using rail lube?

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Thanks for the idea on sighting in! I was just freehanding mine in when I read your post. Never occured to me to use the bench rest like I would a rifle. Found out I was 6 inches high at 20 yds! Now it's dead on at 20. Good luck this season!

·
Super Moderator
24,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
wildatheart said:
Thanks for the idea on sighting in! I was just freehanding mine in when I read your post. Never occured to me to use the bench rest like I would a rifle. Found out I was 6 inches high at 20 yds! Now it's dead on at 20. Good luck this season!
I like mine precise, good luck to you too

·
Registered
13,867 Posts
Moss said:
I finally got to shoot the Horton today. Well it seems I didn't have the cocking rope on right, hey I didn't know I never had one before, but after getting it on right I sighted it in at 20 yards
Moss, thanks for the help with the Brotherhood

Spent Saturday morning gettin it tuned in. Benched it at 10, tuned it in, and then benched it at 20. It right on the money at 20. I had to borrow the rope cocker from a buddy, but had to return it in the afternoon, as he was hunting Saturday eve. Only thing I could'nt pick up was 100 grain Thunderheads, so I decided to try the Shockwaves. I also picked up a six pack of the Easton Powerbolts, which I'm pretty happy with. So far so good. Gonna pick up a cocker this week, and hopefully spend some time Saturday tuning it in on the 30 and 40 mark.

BTW, I picked up a McKensie combo block target @ DSG and it seems to be holding up pretty well. I'm thinking I may be able to get out for the later part of the season.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
turkey4life said:
arrowhead said:
what are the advatages and disadvantages of not using rail lube?
I honestly can't see much advantage with rail lube other than possibly gaining a few f.p.s. and maybe a little longer serving life.

The disadvantage is this - I had a customer come to the store two seasons ago. His rail looked like someone had sanded it with 80 grit sandpaper. He told me he had about 400 shots on his bow. I had been shooting the same bow and had over 1250 logged shots on it. My rail looked like new. He used rail lube, I didn't use any.

·
Registered
618 Posts
After that little sample joke of a tube ran out that came with my bow, I never used rail lube again. We have 3 bows, no lube and the serving looks fine on each of them.... just an opinion...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts