The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Administrator
14,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 44 Weeks of Intensive Training, The 32nd Class of PA State Game Wardens Head To The Field!
32nd Class Graduation Photo
Pennsylvania Gained 27 More State Game Wardens on Saturday, February 13, 2021
Congratulations to the 32nd cadet class who graduated from the Game Commission Ross Leffler School of Conservation! After 44 weeks of intensive training, the graduates were commissioned as State Game Wardens and have been assigned to their new districts.
State Game Wardens are responsible for administering a wide variety of agency programs within an assigned district of about 350 square miles. Primary duties include law enforcement, responding to wildlife conflicts, conservation education and administration of the Hunter-Trapper Education program.
The graduation was live-streamed and can be viewed on the Pennsylvania Game Commission YouTube channel.
Interested in becoming a State Game Warden? The Game Commission will be recruiting candidates for the 34th cadet class this March and an official announcement will be made on the agency’s Facebook page.​
2021/22 Waterfowl Seasons and Bags Proposed
PGC Live- Nate Huck
We Are Requesting Your Feedback On The 2021/22 Proposed Seasons and Bags
The Pennsylvania Game Commission is seeking input on the proposed 2021-22 waterfowl hunting seasons, which can be found online here.
Don’t miss waterfowl biologist, Nate Huck, who will be LIVE on the Game Commission’s Facebook page on Wednesday, March 10, 2021 at 1:00 PM to discuss and answer questions about the proposed seasons.
Public comments will be accepted through March 21, 2021. Those interested can send comments via letter to Game Commission headquarters or via email at [email protected].​
Tune Into Pennsylvania Game Commission's Wildlife Cams
Live Cams Graphic

For those who have been enjoying watching the Pennsylvania Game Commission’s black bear den cam this week, you may also like one of our other wildlife cams currently available.
A total of four Game Commission livestreams are planned to run into the spring of 2021 which includes two bald eagle cams, a snow goose cam, and the black bear den cam. This is the seventh year for the livestream at the Hanover nest, located at Codorus State Park and the first egg of the year was spotted this week. Bald eagles typically lay eggs in mid-February and, if the eggs are viable, they’ll hatch in mid- to late March, with young fledging in June, but continuing to stop back at the nest.
The livestreams are a collaborative effort by the Game Commission, @HDOnTap and Comcast Business.
View the bald eagle live cams here.
Read more here.
*Thank you for being a Pennsylvania hunter, conservationist and voice for the future of hunting in Pennsylvania.​

·
Super Moderator
14,061 Posts
Congratulations to the men and women of the 32nd class. I hope they stay safe but also enjoy their careers as much as I enjoyed mine.

I tried to watch the class graduation on the livestream but all the mask and social distance crap just so turned me off. I couldn't watch it. This was the first class graduation I didn't attend in person since my own graduation with the 19th class.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Congrats. Good luck and stay safe.

Reactions: bohunr

·
Registered
426 Posts
Congrats to them! What is sad is they could have done 5 weeks of not so intensive training and be making pretty much the same money now and more in the long run not counting overtime in the PA Department of Corrections.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Congrats to them! What is sad is they could have done 5 weeks of not so intensive training and be making pretty much the same money now and more in the long run not counting overtime in the PA Department of Corrections.

I suspect very few, or none, of the new PGC Game Wardens were interested in working as a Corrections Officer.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
I suspect very few, or none, of the new PGC Game Wardens were interested in working as a Corrections Officer.
I imagine a career with the PGC is about as good as a LEO can get. Granted you deal with some bad guys, but the vast majority are law abiding citizens enjoying their hobby.

Everyone you work with in state DOC is a bad guy.

I've worked in 3 State Correctional Facilities as a contractor. It's a different world once you go through the gate.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Congrats. Won't say a name but one is my wife's cousin. Have already heard some wild wild stories

·
Registered
25,652 Posts
Have met several cadets over the years, when our GWs brought one or two out to a monthly club meeting. We've had six different Game Wardens during the 38 years I've been involved with my sportsmen's club, so that's covered quite a few classes. But I was just a small boy when RSB graduated?

:p

Was also in attendance at a BOC meeting some years ago, when they had the graduation ceremony for our current Game Warden. He had missed the actual graduation ceremony with his classmates, because he'd been deployed with his USMC Res. unit. Only one of his deployments. He's been to Iraq twice and overseas two other times, since then.

Congrats to all of them and best wishes for an enjoyable and rewarding career.

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
Did the Game Wardens numbers go up on payroll,drop or stay the same? I knew they were under staff, Hopefully this is not the case

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Nothing sad about it at all. Every Game warden I know has wanted to be a Game Warden since long before they were lucky enough to beat out the competition for a seat in the PGC training school or for a slot as a Warden in another state. I know one Warden who wanted to be a Game Warden so bad he enlisted in the Marine Corps in order to get 5 veterans preference points added to his written and oral test scores the competition is that tough. I never met anyone who grew up wanting to be a corrections officer. I have a great deal of resect for corrections officers, I would not want to be one and have to deal with a building full of criminals day after day. When was the last time you heard that there were over 5,000 applicants for thirty openings as Corrections Officers? Nah, not sad, there is more to a job that makes you want to get up in the morning than the pay check.

·
Registered
25,652 Posts
From friends that retired as PA COs, I've heard it's both a stressful and at times, a depressing job. They all took the earliest retirement they were qualified for. One of them was severely injured in the Camp Hill riots some years ago and retired early on partial disability, after working for several more years afterwards.

Our Game Wardens have always been on the short end of the state employee stick, retirement wise, from what I know?

I think they've finally been granted the same early retirement options that most other LEOs in PA have had for years. Three friends from HS that were State Troopers, all retired in their mid 50s, for example, with about 25-30 years service. All three were Vietnam vets with at least two years in the military.

Wouldn't be much of a career decision for me: Cooped up with surly criminals all day, or spending much of your time in the outdoors and dealing with the occasional surly nimrod?

:)

Reactions: octagon

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
From friends that retired as PA COs, I've heard it's both a stressful and at times, a depressing job. They all took the earliest retirement they were qualified for. One of them was severely injured in the Camp Hill riots some years ago and retired early on partial disability, after working for several more years afterwards.

Our Game Wardens have always been on the short end of the state employee stick, retirement wise, from what I know?

I think they've finally been granted the same early retirement options that most other LEOs in PA have had for years. Three friends from HS that were State Troopers, all retired in their mid 50s, for example, with about 25-30 years service. All three were Vietnam vets with at least two years in the military.

Wouldn't be much of a career decision for me: Cooped up with surly criminals all day, or spending much of your time in the outdoors and dealing with the occasional surly nimrod?

:)
Game did not get the 20 years at age 50 and out with no penalty, only Fish did. I believe they only got it in 2019 via a Bill introduced by Rep. Gillespie, a very long time after Fish got it. While they were in the bill to be included, Governor stinking Rendell prevented them from getting it by telling the general assembly he would not sign it if Game stayed in the bill. Reason, Rendell called Ex Director Vern Ross to his office one day and ordered him to hire a political crony of his for the open position of Director in the Bureau of personal services. Vern told him that he would not do that and he could feel free to apply along with the others who were interested in the position. Rendell then told Ross that apparently he had not heard that he said he was ordering him to hire the guy. Vern then told Rendell that he did not have the authority to order him who to hire as the PGC was not under his control on personal matters. Rendell then was very angry and stood up and ordered Vern out of his office and added a parting admonition that he would pay for his disobedience. Vern did not pay for it, the PGC officers did. That said Vern did the right thing, Rendell was a Bully and Vern did not cave in to him.
The above said, I know very few officers that could afford to retire after 20 years without getting another job after retirement. The state retirement for Game Wardens was 35 years of service or age 60 whichever came first prior to 2019.

·
Registered
426 Posts
You guys make some good points about being a turnkey vs a game keeper. One thing is for sure being a guard isn't for everyone and it is very true that I can say I have not met one person who set out to be one. I am predicting when this COVID thing comes to pass there is a going to be a huge shortage of turnkeys. The new guys they are hiring are barely keeping up with 1/6th of the inmates out as it is wait till they open up full bore people will be ripping their uniforms off while running toward the gate screaming let me out.

The job is all you make of it. The sooner you realize that NO ONE will EVER thank you, respect your position, nor really care about you as a professional the sooner you will realize the only satisfaction you will ever get is every other Friday when you check your bank statement, and at that point your mental health should improve.

I personally wouldn't make it the 44 weeks knowing that I could go back behind the wall making more money with better benefits but thats just me; I'm on the down hill side of this whole mess they call public service. From what I understand academy staff don't treat Warden and Trooper cadets very good at all. But then again I tell our new COs don't talk to me till you get a stress day.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts