The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Couldn't agree more about the Amish!
Had them build the shell for our camp in Elk co.
Amazing workmanship and done at a very fair price 24x36 with a loft.
The only thing was we had bears walking around rather frequently.must have spooked them and we asked how much more it would cost to build the deck the price went way up.
So we bought the lumber off of them at a good price and wound up building a bigger deck than we originaly asked for which now wraps around half the camp.they finished the whole job was completed in 5 days.bad weather ( rain ) stretched it out to about 8 days but we couldn't complain about anything.
Amazing to watch them cutting windows and such with chainsaws.4 man crew came up from punxatawney.
Its on pillars so we didn't need concrete,I believe there was 30-32 8x8 pillars set and they dug them by hand in a day maybe day and a half

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Oh and for those who expressed an interest in the old camp, well, it's going to stay in the family. My daughter and son in law have moved back to PA after 15 years in Arizona and they want to take it over which, with their kids there, will make it 5 generations in the family creating memories there. I cant imagine a better way to pass it along.

·
Registered
25,475 Posts
Like that new exterior!!

I messed up back in the early 90s. Former employer got into custom mill work after he retired. Got a set of cutters for the big planer in the shop, to make 2x8s into "half round" log siding that was ship-lap cut, so the joints slid into each other.

He wanted me to get a hack of 2x8s delivered and make me new siding for my cabin. I didn't take him up on the offer and still regret it.

Hey - Are the doorways high enough in the new place? >:)

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
That's the one. I hunted back that way when there was only one house back in there owned , at that time, by Ray Rogers. Killed my very first whitetail out the ridge from the Hesters place a year or two before they built there. Since you're obviously close to here, it's a pretty sure bet that our paths have crossed before.
Welcome to HPA !

I was just by there Thursday evening. Are you right by John Senocks place ?

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
No, I've met all the immediate neighbors. Unless one sold very recently, that name isn't familiar to me but he could be close

21 - 31 of 31 Posts