The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 9 weeks away from my second trip to Africa. My first trip went very well with my import of my rifle. However, this trip I have a layover in Johannesburg. I know this changes the paperwork some. I have done some research on the internet but find conflicting results. Here's my questions if anyone can help.

1. Can I put my rifle in my buddy's case?
2. What is the difference in the paperwork with a layover?

I was going to ask these questions to my hunting consultant who I booked with at the Harrisburg Show. We all know how that ended up. He's currently off somewhere and unreachable. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I should note that I will be staying in South Africa in the morning. I just have a short flight to East London.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you! Last trip I took a blue wildebeest, impala, blesbuck, warthog, and bushbuck. This trip I'd like to take 4 or 5 different animals. High on the list is kudu, zebra, springbuck, and caracal.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
I don't know if its summer over there but wear long pants. I spoke to a guy that hunted there last year and he and his buddy both ended up in the hospital for an extented stay do to tic bites

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
joe8768 said:
I don't know if its summer over there but wear long pants. I spoke to a guy that hunted there last year and he and his buddy both ended up in the hospital for an extented stay do to tic bites
Thanks for that info! I'll take some spray just incase. I went in September of 2011. Only issue I had was almost stepping on two snakes which scare the crap out of me here in the states. Don't know what kind they were and maybe I'm better off not knowing. The seasons in Africa work the opposite of us here. So I should be hunting in their fall!

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I didn't need any extra paperwork for a connecting flight to Namibia.Not real sure what they do with that long a layover.Don't see any problems with flying 2 guns in one case if paperwork for both is in there.My thought is you'll have to have them hold your gun at the SA airport till your next flight in the morning.Then pick it up at the SA police desk

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Finally got a hold of him today. Your right no extra paperwork. Take firearm with me after SAP approve my paperwork and then check it into domestic travel firearms office in the morning. Also not a problem putting rifles into same case as long as they are different caliber.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts