The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a friend, MOSS thought you might like to see a few animals taken in Africa. I was lucky to make five hunting trip to Africa. the trips were more than I ever thought they would be. if they offend any one I will not post any more. eastbank.

Attachments

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Doesn't offend me, but at the same time I don't agree with hunting for trophies like this. Sorry, but when somebody shoots endangered animals such as elephant, rhino, etc, that's all it is trophy hunting IMO.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Doesn't offend me, but at the same time I don't agree with hunting for trophies like this. Sorry, but when somebody shoots endangered animals such as elephant, rhino, etc, that's all it is trophy hunting IMO.
Game management in Africa relies on hunters revenue to protect the greater good of the animals. Every elephant that is taken by a hunter saves hundreds from poachers. That goes for all of the species. Without hunters there would be no income to fund the anti-poaching efforts and pro wildlife conservation.

·
Registered
11,205 Posts
Not to mention that there are MILLIONS of hungry people in Africa. Every bit of every animal taken is utilized by people in and around the hunting areas.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but there are no rhinos being legally taken any more, they are totally protected.

·
Registered
15,009 Posts
WWF article I just read says elephants are not endangered, there's over 415,000 of them in Africa.

I'm not sure of this, but I don't think eastbank shot a rhino or elephant, just took pictures?

I'm glad you shared pictures of your trip eastbank. It would be great if you did a little writeup about your trip.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
awesome eastbank!!!!!! keep posting!!!! all elephants are not endangered and far from it. in a lot of areas they are eating themselves out of house and home and destroying areas because there are too many. rhino's have been protected for many years.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Africa has always been a dream of mine. My late grandfather was over twice and harvested four of the big five(no rhino) thanks for sharing and I?d love to hear the stories?

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
My wife's great granddad went all around the world hunting from the mid-1950's through the late 1960's. His house is basically a museum with just about any kind of animal you can think of with the locations, species, photos, and even videos. Everything from warthogs to polar bears, the big 5, the big horn grand slam, and was awarded the Weatherby Big Game Trophy. What isn't at the house is in a natural history museum.

Many museums don't take trophys for their collections to avoid promoting trophy hunting but some curators and directors are looking at the bigger picture now. With the developments of molecular biology and genetics research, these trophies gathered through time are going be even more valuable in the future from a scientific standpoint for answering many conservation questions that will help better manage them and other wildlife.

Great job and thanks for posting!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Don't get what? Hunting in Africa? How about elk in Colorado? Moose in Canada? Roe deer in Germany? Red deer in New Zealand? Rams in Alaska? Driven pheasants in England?

There is a world outside of Pennsylvania ya know.
I'm kind of in a similar boat. I have absolutely zero desire to hunt for anything in Africa. However, I also don't have any problem with guys going and hunting Africa. The conservation money we hunters generate for those animals is their livelihood. Go hunt Africa if that's you're dream. Looks like an amazing hunt was had here with a lifetime's worth of stories.

That being said, I do have an intense wanderlust for the American West. I wanna go out every single year and just get lost in the plains and mountains.

It just bothers me that our kids learn about lions, elephants, and giraffes before they ever learn about the wonderful animals that live in OUR country. Obviously I'm not talking about the teaching we bestow on our own children as hunters at home. I'm just talking about my own kids being taught in school about penguins and zebras and things they've never even seen before they learn about grizzlies or bighorn rams.

Probably the reason people in this country get outraged by some dude paying thousands of dollars to kill an elephant but couldn't give two wooden nickels about the population of woodland caribou in the United States, a grand total of about 30 animals. Charismatic mega fauna

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Congrats eastbank! Why any other hunter would have a problem with this hunt is troubling. A legal hunt, using legal weapons, hunting legal game. I have no desire to hunt Africa and will not judge any fellow hunter who does. Different strokes folks and remember we are ALL hunters on the same team.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Great pics and congrats on the trophies. Looks like a great hunt. I have no clue why someone who goes to Africa and legally hunts would have a problem. Again, congrats!

·
Registered
384 Posts
Interesting. I too am not a trophy hunter. Not sure about hunting Zebras but that's just me. Having said that, I have heard about the meat being given to the locals etc. If it's done legally and actually aiding conservation have at it!

I bet it was amazing time ..... and congrats

1 - 20 of 66 Posts