The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 148 Posts

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you could go and wanted to. What African country would you go to and what would you hunt?

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
I would pick the one with the best opportunity for plains game. I bever had the desire to shoot an elephant, rhino, lion or leopard. A buffalo along with antelope would make my trip.

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Namibia leopard with hounds.

Already done it but an old world style tented safari in the Selous of Tanzania is an experience, excitement abounds! All the big 5 plus abundant aggressive hippo, BIG crocs catching monkeys and babboon on the edge of the river, cobra, black and green mamba found everywhere including camp, scorpions in the toilet, lion roaring every night all night, bumping into lions in the field, to the mundane tsetse flies and malaria carrying mosquitoes. An area the size of Mass. with no human inhabitants.

·
Registered
20,091 Posts
There is a show on now called The One where the guy is hunting a Rhino with a bow, now thats archery hunting.

I saw them pass up a couple so I can't imagine how big he one they are after is.
The arrow is tipped with a tranquilizer tip, and the draw set at 40 lbs.

·
Banned
19,532 Posts
25ftup said:
For some reason I have no desire to hunt Africa.
Me Neither! Nothing there for me. Whitetail hunting in the big woods is by far the most challenging hunt you can get, especially if you arent farming deer or buying them from someone who is!!

·
Registered
10,129 Posts
25ftup said:
I can recall making this exact statement hundreds of times over a 25 year span. Then I finally broke down and went on my first safari in 2003. This July we are going for our fifth time. Now I just kinda smile to myself when I hear this statement made...I don't care what anyone says, hunting anywhere in Africa gets in your blood.

·
Registered
12,211 Posts
I would go to Switzerland and hunt Chamois Sheep. When I was stationed there in the 70's I would see a lot of hunters at the train stations with their harvests waiting to take them home or to restaraunts. I loved spotting them sheep while hiking in the Alps. The Alpine scenery and the opportunity to hunt Chamois all at the same time would be the very best that could happen for me.

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
tundragriz said:
Namibia leopard with hounds.

Already done it but an old world style tented safari in the Selous of Tanzania is an experience, excitement abounds! All the big 5 plus abundant aggressive hippo, BIG crocs catching monkeys and babboon on the edge of the river, cobra, black and green mamba found everywhere including camp, scorpions in the toilet, lion roaring every night all night, bumping into lions in the field, to the mundane tsetse flies and malaria carrying mosquitoes. An area the size of Mass. with no human inhabitants.

Black and Green Mambas

I thought you don't see them during hunting season?

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
John Henry said:
25ftup said:
Me Neither! Nothing there for me. Whitetail hunting in the big woods is by far the most challenging hunt you can get, especially if you arent farming deer or buying them from someone who is!!

Please guys don't turn this into a "why I don't need Africa for anything thread". I've always been fascinated with the Dark Continent and want to hear from guys with like passions.

·
Banned
10,004 Posts
Don't get exercised about those foxes who can't reach the grapes, Mike. The grapes were probably sour anyway.

My W 1 FE unit and I have been to Africa three times. It grows on you. After the first hunt in South Africa, we were coming home on the plane from Johanesburg and she said, "When can we come back?" Doris does not hunt/kill anything, but likes to go along on some kinds of hunting trips with me. I can't imagine going back to Africa without her.

Snakes. In my three trips to Africa I have seen a grand total of one poisonous snake, a puff adder. It was dead on a road. One should not let his fear of snakes prevent him from going to Africa. It is a neat place to visit. If hunting is not what you want to do, take your camera and lots of memory cards for it. A photo safari is just the ticket for those who don't want to go hunting there.

An African hunt can be as expensive or as cheap as you want to make it. I took six animals two years ago, took my wife along, and the total including airfare was less than my last elk hunt in Wyoming. You can also spend fifty grand on an elephant hunt in the Selous if you choose to do that, but it would not be my choice to do so.

I am not sure who said that if you taste the waters of Africa, you must drink again and again, but whoever it was, he was right. It does grow on you. The question is not whether I will go back to Africa, but when.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I haven't gone yet--but I do want to.

The cost was something that seemed to be to be out of reach; until I really started looking into it. As Muttley said--it is a bargain unless you want to hunt some of the higher priced species--then it can get a little steep.

I want to take a Cape Buffalo with my .243

·
Registered
920 Posts
I would love to go to go. A leopard hunt would be my dream hunt over there but out of my price range. Always wanted to get wildebeest. In a few years I plan to do a plains game hunt.

·
Registered
139 Posts
my wife and i went On a plains game safari in kimberly south africa in 2005. harvested 11 animals (8 bow kills, 3 gun kills). Including air fare and animals the trip ran a little over 10 grand. the only downfall was building a 30,000 addition to my house to house all the mounts. would do it again in a heartbeat. You can go on a 5,000 guided elk hunt and still return with nothing. There is no inative time of the day for the animals over there they always need water! Wish i knew how to post pictures or i would

·
Registered
653 Posts
John Henry said:
25ftup said:
Getting ground level with a lion, and bow shooting is by far the most challenging..Bow hunting anything in Africa is by far more difficult then deer hunting in PA.... one wrong move when in range of a lion, a couple of missed shots from guys behind you with their guns and you can get turned into cat food... They dont called buffalo 'black death' for no reason...

Me personally am trying so hard to get over there to go hunting

·
Banned
19,532 Posts
TheASlayer said:
Getting ground level with a lion, and bow shooting is by far the most challenging..Bow hunting anything in Africa is by far more difficult then deer hunting in PA.... one wrong move when in range of a lion, a couple of missed shots from guys behind you with their guns and you can get turned into cat food... They dont called buffalo 'black death' for no reason...

Me personally am trying so hard to get over there to go hunting
Well, for a 17 year old, you sure do seem to have all the answers!!

1 - 20 of 148 Posts