The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im in the early stages setting up a trip to Africa, maybe next year 2013. I havent narrowed down what I am going to try to hunt yet.    Any advice to a weapon?   Is a 300  win mag enough gun for blesbok, kudo and some of the other plains game?  Or should I be thinking bigger?

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
BigBuckDown said:
Im in the early stages setting up a trip to Africa, maybe next year 2013. I havent narrowed down what I am going to try to hunt yet.    Any advice to a weapon?   Is a 300  win mag enough gun for blesbok, kudo and some of the other plains game?  Or should I be thinking bigger?
I took a blue wildebeest, impala, blesbuck, warthog, and bushbuck with a .30-06 using 180 grain accubond bullets. You will have no problem with a 300 Win Mag at all. Just use a premium bullet. I'm headed back in May of 2013! If your interested in coming along with us, your more than welcome. I have 5 guys in our group. A sixth would be no problem. Best of luck in your adventure!

·
Banned
10,004 Posts
Your .300 Win Mag will do the job on anything up to and including Eland. For dangerous game, you would need something like .375 H & H or larger, but you don't mention that sort of thing, so go with the .300 win mag. I have taken over 20 plains game animals with my .300 Weatherby Mag, which is just a tad harder hitting than the win mag, but not enough to make a huge difference. A good quality 200 grain bullet would be a good idea. Nosler partition at a minimum. You will be spending a few thousand bucks on the trip. Don't go on the cheap with ammo. I have used Kodiak bonded core, Trophy bonded, and Swift bullets, as well as Barnes X, all with good results. A good hit is of primary importance for sure.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I'm leaving in June for safari in RSA and I'm using my .300 win mag w/ 180 grain Hornady Superformance SST. I'm looking Kudu, wildebeest, blesbuck, impala etc. The PH and safari owner tell me it is more than enough gun. Like we all know quality ammo and shot placement is the key.

·
Registered
9,848 Posts
BigBuckDown said:
What part of Africa are you going to hunt? The rifle you should take will depend on the type of terrain where you will be. If you will be in the bushveld country, then a .308 with 180's would be perfectly fine. For plainsgame it is only in the wide open, long shooting areas where you would need a magnum.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Last fall American Hunter had a good article about the USA favorite .30-06 doing similar game in Africa, I believe it was with some of the people from Federal checking out their new bullets. The article also touched on Teddy Roosevelt, Earnest Hemingway and Robert Ruark taking various plains game with the ought-six.

Their kills ranged from 25 to 300 yards in the article. I believe so long as you know your weapon and its limits, and use a premium bullet to aide your cause, you can take down a lot of those critters with American deer rifles.

I'm jealous - post those pictures someday in the distant future, good luck and safe trip.

·
Banned
10,004 Posts
Just on the off chance any of you might be interested, I did two shows: a power point and a movie type show on my friend Tom's hunt in South Africa last June. If you would like a copy of both on CD that you can play on your computer, drop me a pm.

·
Registered
485 Posts
biggest, baddest, supermagnum out there does not makeup up for a bad shot anywhere on any game. practice, practice, and more practice to make this trip a once in a lifetime event. fwiw. p.s. don't practice from a bench with sandbags. practice like you are actually hunting i.e. standing, kneeling, improvised rest. real life shooting. no cement tables in africa.

·
Banned
10,004 Posts
In addition, practice shooting off a shooting stick. Lots of professional hunters carry them. Some are nothing more than a big walking stick while others are dipod type.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
overthehill said:
biggest, baddest, supermagnum out there does not makeup up for a bad shot anywhere on any game. practice, practice, and more practice to make this trip a once in a lifetime event. fwiw. p.s. don't practice from a bench with sandbags. practice like you are actually hunting i.e. standing, kneeling, improvised rest. real life shooting. no cement tables in africa.
In this picture is the shooting sticks from my South African hunt last year. I have to admit that it is very different shooting standing up with a rest like this. Great advise!!!

·
Registered
9,145 Posts
Get yourself a Bog Pod. You can shoot with it standing upright, kneeling or sitting, in tripod, bi-pod, or monopod configuration.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I'm leaving in 4 weeks for my first trip to Africa.I'll be using a 300 WM,and my bow.Did some table shooting with my gun, but am changing that to hunting situation shooting for this last month of practice.My bow is shooting incredible to 45 yards right now
Hunting for kudu,gemsbok,zebra,warthog in the package.May add a few more when I'm there since I don't know when I'll ever make it back

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Also, I used the same gun on my mule deer last year in Montana.Using Federal premiums with 180 nosler partition,deer went maybe 20 yards before dropping dead as a stone

·
Registered
895 Posts
Your rifle choice is fine for any terrain. You are comfortable with it and that is what counts. My next trip I will be taking a 7x57 and 375 h&h , both dialed in at 200 yds. I am shooting the 375 2x as much as the 7x57 to raise my comfort level with the 375. Good luck and bag a big Kudu.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Just got back last Sat from a 10 day cull hunt in the Eastern Cape. Used a 300 Win Mag and 165 gr Hornady factory ammo. Took 35 animals including Kudu, Impala, Bushbuck, Blesbok, Springbok, Fallow Deer, Mt Reedbuck. Shoots ranged from 25yards to over 400. Game was sometimes standing, walking, running flat out. Shoots were often at extreme up or down angles. The std factory ammo preformed just fine.
As mentioned learning to shoot off sticks will be a help, but also get some practice shooting off hand.
A good range finder is of value and knowing where your ammo shoots at different ranges is important.
If you shoot the leg off it does not matter what kind of bullet or caliber you use, placement is key.
A friend used a 30-06 on the same trip, I think he had Federal ammo but the results were similar for him. A third friend on the same trip used a 308 Norma Mag, but when it looked like he was going to run out of ammo he started getting nervous as the ammo was not locally available on short notice.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts