The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You see the prices listed which would include hunt, lodging and tags. But, what are the other costs? When you add in airfare, transporting your trophies home, etc.... How much more do you need to add on to the quoted price? Let's say it's a one week hunt for thr typical plains game.

·
Registered
9,848 Posts
That's a pretty broad question. A lot of your costs will depend on which animals you want to harvest, where you are going and what you will do with the animals when you get them home.
For an accurate answer, you would need to provide more info.

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah ah!!!
That I do not know. I just know I see ads for around $4000-5000 and think that's not too bad.

I am thinking maybe 5 heads of plains game, including a greater kudu.

·
Registered
9,848 Posts
That 4-5000 bucks will depend on what animals are included whether it's a good deal or not. Extra animals that may not be included will be extra money. The flight alone from D.C. or Atlanta to Johannesburg will be $1400 to over $2000 depending on what time of year you go, plus more if you have a flight from Jo-burg to another city or country. Sometimes you have to pay for airport transfer as well. The dip and ship costs will vary depending the number and size of animals you shoot plus what type of mount you are doing.

·
Registered
9,848 Posts
I would learn a little about the animals too. I see a lot of booths at show that have animals mounted that I would not even consider shooting. Makes me question whether they are just telling people to shoot just to get it over with. But most people in the US don't know the difference anyway, so they could tell you anything.

·
Registered
490 Posts
To many variables to give a real good answer.

What country? What time of year (airfare cost will change depending on time of year)?
Will it require several airline changes?
Any air charters involved?
Trophies, dip & pack or mounted in Africa?
Skull mounts, shoulder mounts, life size mounts?
How many trophies?
Do not forget about tips to the PH & staff.
Is the outfitter picking you up & dropping you off at the airport as part of the package or is it a additional cost?
Any CITIES animals?
Will you clear the shipment yourself or pay a broker?

I have been on 15+ trips in 4 different countries, everyone was different from a cost basis.

I have not done a plains game hunt (& brought trophies home) in many years but I am sure someone with more current experience will come along.

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, I'm really a novice at this and I guess I don't even know what questions to ask.

My neighbor went a few years ago and was surprised at how reasonable it was. But later found that there were lots of hidden costs. Well, maybe not hidden costs. But cost above the price of the actual hunt.

·
Registered
490 Posts
There are lots of ways to hold the cost down. Right now SAA has airfare for under $1K to Joberg. Consider a cull hunt, take lots of pics & save the taxidermy, shipping, etc.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Check with Ingwe Safaries. Lieb has a good 5 animal package for $ 4,500.00. Figure about $ 500.00 for gratuity. We were there in march. Our air fare was a total of $ 800.00 plus. We stayed 1 nite at the afton house in joburg. I think that was $ 60.00 each to pick us up at the airport & take us back to the air port. We had a short flight to Kimberly. That was in with our air fare. What you do with the animals is where you can run up some money. If you hunt with Lieb he will make sure you get some good animals & have a really good time.

·
Registered
9,848 Posts
Wow, the Afton Guest House. There's a name I haven't heard in a while. We used them on our first trip over there. Good people.

March is a cheap time of year for airfare versus July and August which is peak rate. If you go i March though, you need to pack an air conditioner with you instead of hunting clothes.

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, it seems like the shipping and taxidermy could really add up.

The cull hunt seems like a good way to get the experience without breaking the bank. I wonder if you could mix and match cull with trophy? As in, take a kudu home but the rest of the game are cull?

·
Registered
9,848 Posts
You can definitely add a kudu or any other animal to a cull hunt. I would think twice about the cull thing. It may not be what you think. More of a slaughter than a hunt and a near meelee really. For the difference in price, all the more you save, you would enjoy as an actual hunt one of the packages you mentioned earlier. Many cull hunts are just a day or so. You don't want to fly the whole way over there for just a couple days.

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What would really be good is if I could make it into a family safari where the whole family could experience Africa and I could sneak in a day or two hunt. Not sure if that's possible or not.

When this kind of money is spent, it would be a family vacation.

·
Registered
9,848 Posts
Definitely possible. In fact, every time my wife and I go, we stay at Sun City for a while which is an excellent place for a family vacation. It is one of the top 5 most visited resorts in the world. You would not lack for something to do there.
There are a lot of hunting outfits nearby. It would simply be a matter of scheduling a few days with one of them. I doubt it would be hard to pull that off at all.
I have a guy at Pilanesberg National Park who is EXCELLENT, absolutely amazing with family game drives in the park which is right outside Sun City. My wife and I both think that some of the best days of our lives were the game drives that we did with Jaco. He does airport transports as well.

·
Registered
9,848 Posts
I think I misread your post and saw family vacation instead of family safari.
But still, you can do whatever. The only difference would be that you'd be paying a daily observer rate for the days you weren't hunting and be paying the full daily rate for days that you did hunt.
Depending on the time of year and where you go, I see daily hunting rates anywhere from $300 to $600 per day. Non hunters I see range from $150 to $350 per day. A lot of places give discounted rate if you have multiple people hunting with the same PH though.
There really is a mind-boggling and confusing amount of things to look at the first time you go.
I went to the Harrisburg show for the first trip and was more confused when I left than when I got there. Spoke to so many places I couldn't remember who said what.
It's a big help to find people who actually went places and get first hand accounts of things to expect.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I would recommend booking with a hunter friendly travel agent. One that SCI approves. They cost a bit more but can save you a lot of grief and aggravation. Especially with weapon permits, connecting flights and layovers. I wouldn't travel to Africa without using one.

I paid $1300 for airfare last year and also used the Afton House. Great people and a great service. They also help you get through the airports and to fill out the paper work to retrieve your weapon, and get to the proper gates. No one will bother you if you're with them either which is a huge plus.

At the times I was in the airport alone someone was continuously trying to hustle or steal from me. As I was getting ready to board the plane in Johannesburg to fly to my final destination in Port Elizabeth, I heard my name paged overhead to report to the security office. I rushed to the office and when I arrived the head of security asked me if I was going on safari and pointed to my bow case in the corner. When I said "yes" he informed me that if I didn't give him $20.00 American my bow would not make it onto the plane.

There's a lot of expenses in addition to the safari cost. PH Tips, Tracker Tips, Taxidermy, Broker, etc. You can easily spend an additional $5000 - $10,000 depending upon how carried away you get with the animals shot and the taxidermy.

·
Registered
114 Posts
kudu, I have been over there twice in march & the weather was great. It would go up to 90 some days with no humidity & very few bugs. Our cabins were all A C. We sat out every nite in our T- shirts. I wouldn't hesitate to go again in march. About the cull hunts, I understand most of them are done at nite with spot lites & head shots only. They may shoot 100 animals each nite.

·
Registered
9,848 Posts
johnwoodfab said:
kudu, I have been over there twice in march & the weather was great. It would go up to 90 some days with no humidity & very few bugs. Our cabins were all A C. We sat out every nite in our T- shirts. I wouldn't hesitate to go again in march. About the cull hunts, I understand most of them are done at nite with spot lites & head shots only. They may shoot 100 animals each nite.
I guess the weather thing depends on the individual. Humidity or not, I want no parts of hunting in 90 degree weather. I usually go mid-June to August. More like hunting season weather back home. Cold and you actually need a coat and gloves in the morning and evening and it hits low 70's during the day. Plus the added bonus to me of hitting the impala and kudu rut. I love seeing kudu in their rut prominence.

You are exactly right on the culls. It's just killing, not hunting and shots going everywhere. Not my thing either, though it serves it's purpose.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts