The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I'm looking for an idea to take my son on a trip. He is graduating in 2021 and I want to take him somewhere? Open to just about any game. I want something that we have opportunities to see and take animals. I would like to keep the cost in the 4-5k range. Experiences, outfitters, different species suggestions whatever you got!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I would suggest a spring bear hunt that also has good fishing for walleyes, smallmouth, and pike. Fish during the mornings and bear hunt afternoon and evening. Once you harvest a bear many outfitters will let you fish the rest of the week. Many times the fishing can be as great as the hunting. My second suggestion would be an antelope hunt. Both of these hunts are high odds if you do your homework and pick a good reputable outfitter. Both of these hunts will be within your budget. Good luck on your decision.

12 Ring

·
Registered
9,878 Posts
At $2500 per, you have a lot of options. Most eastern deer and bear hunts, mid-west small game, and a few western options like antelope as recommended above, but travel out there will increase your costs.

·
Registered
18,956 Posts
deer, boar and gator at red bluff lodge in South Carolina.

·
Super Moderator
5,168 Posts
With the proper tags, you can kill a bear during the Maine rifle deer season. Odds would be against you though, many bears denned up by then, especially if it’s an off year for beechnuts.

·
Registered
9,849 Posts
Any deer and bear combo hunts?
Yes there certainly are. Check out Coffman Cove Outfiters on Prince of Wales Island, AK. You can hunt black bear and sitka blacktail deer, with the added bonus of either stream fishing for trout, salmon, steelhead or boat fishing for fish such as halibut.
It is unguided, but they have a cabin with toilet, shower, tv, internet and give you three meals a day plus a 4x4 vehicle to go do your hunting. This trip is on my list for the next couple years.

·
Registered
12,260 Posts
Hey guys. I'm looking for an idea to take my son on a trip. He is graduating in 2021 and I want to take him somewhere? Open to just about any game. I want something that we have opportunities to see and take animals. I would like to keep the cost in the 4-5k range. Experiences, outfitters, different species suggestions whatever you got!
I guess a couple of thoughts on the subject. Do you want to go after something that you can't hunt in PA? For example you could go for hogs, pronghorn, moose, elk, etc.

One place that I would consider would be Deerefield were Loridr goes pretty much every year. You can shoot multiple deer and it seems like he always has a great time plus you can shoot hogs as well. You can check over his previous year posts on it. He just went a few weeks ago.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I guess a couple of thoughts on the subject. Do you want to go after something that you can't hunt in PA? For example you could go for hogs, pronghorn, moose, elk, etc.

One place that I would consider would be Deerefield were Loridr goes pretty much every year. You can shoot multiple deer and it seems like he always has a great time plus you can shoot hogs as well. You can check over his previous year posts on it. He just went a few weeks ago.
I'm definitely considering that option. I also liked the looks the place in NC that he goes to.

·
Registered
18,956 Posts
that would be lily pond, they offer deer hunts and just started offering bear hunts. two different areas. maybe even two different seasons. might be worth looking into to see if some type of combo hunt can be worked out.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
that would be lily pond, they offer deer hunts and just started offering bear hunts. two different areas. maybe even two different seasons. might be worth looking into to see if some type of combo hunt can be worked out.
Yeah I was just reading up on that. If they have combo bear/deer that would be awesome. My son really would love to get a bear.

·
Registered
9,878 Posts

Yeah I was just reading up on that. If they have combo bear/deer that would be awesome. My son really would love to get a bear.

Lily's bear hunt is in a completely different area over towards the coast, and it's very expensive at $4500 per. Huge bears though, and I believe it's guaranteed.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Any deer and bear combo hunts?
Yes, NC & VA season overlap deer & bear, so does NY. And probably a few states I'm not aware of.

Lots of good options so far, another option is a combination hog hunt /other game (turkey, alligator, deer, javelina, axis deer) or fishing trip in Texas or any of the far southern states.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes, NC & VA season overlap deer & bear, so does NY. And probably a few states I'm not aware of.

Lots of good options so far, another option is a combination hog hunt /other game (turkey, alligator, deer, javelina, axis deer) or fishing trip in Texas or any of the far southern states.
I am looking hard a Virginia. I am gathering info on several outfitters that offer a real chance at both bear and deer.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Lily's bear hunt is in a completely different area over towards the coast, and it's very expensive at $4500 per. Huge bears though, and I believe it's guaranteed.
The key word in this forum is affordable. $4500 x 2 for two hunters is not for the blue collar person .

·
Registered
9,878 Posts
The key word in this forum is affordable. $4500 x 2 for two hunters is not for the blue collar person .

That was my point Joe. I was responding to bohunr's post about Lily Pond offering bear hunts, I was pointing out that those hunts would not fit the OP's parameters.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Lorid I agree with you.

I think the only affordable hunt you could do out west would probably be without a guide for a combo hunt for deer & antelope. When I did this in the mid 1990s. I think I spent $1000. for everything. I drove out with 2 other guys and we hunted Wyoming and stayed in a motel in Newcastle Wy. and hunted BLM land and private land. We knocked on doors when we saw something we wanted to go after. We also got some private property to hunt with a little professional courtesy from the local Police chief. We got 3 antelopes but no deer.

The price of a guided elk and deer hunt is getting outrageous. Hunts used to be 7-10 days. Now a lot of the outfitters only do 4 day hunts and you are sleeping in a tent. Not even a ranch hunt and some of these huts are upwards towards 9K. per person.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts