The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
19,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, my boat has a front and back live well. The pump for both is on the transom below the water line. The recirculator pump is in the rear, next to the rear live well. They are controlled by a rocker switch on the dash. The front live well and aerator work fine. The back doesn't. There is power to the rocker switch because the light comes on when you switch it on but the rear live well and aerator won't work. What the heck is going on? Its the same pump and aerator for bot live wells but only the front works.

·
Registered
9,718 Posts
Re: Aerater/live well

sounds like a broken wire somewhere. If I was close to you, I'd come troubleshoot it for you.

·
Registered
4,887 Posts

Did the boat have a previous owner? Maybe they used the back for storage. Sure does sound like broken/cut wires.

·
Registered
19,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

The previous owner is my dad and it worked up until last year. What has me puzzled is both live wells use the same pump and aerator. The pump and reciculator have a separate switch but both the aerator and pump only work on the front. Neither works on the back.

·
Registered
4,887 Posts

Could you have pinched or clogged the lines to the back?

·
Registered
19,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

No because the pump and aerator don't turn on when I hit the switches. I have power to the switches because they light up when I turn them on. The pump and aerator just don't come on. I'm assuming the pump and reciculator are wired together even though there is a seperate switch for each because neither is working.

·
Registered
11,824 Posts

Buckethead said:
I have power to the switches because they light up when I turn them on.
You may have power to the switch but not through the switch. Jump the switch and see if the pump has power.

·
Registered
9,718 Posts

make a road trip, bring it out here, and I'll fix it or at least find the problem for ya. Where you located Bucket>?

·
Registered
19,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Thanks for the offer, Ben but I'm out in Mercer Co on the Ohio line. My uncle is supposed to take a look at it. I can sum up my entire electrical knowledge in this way: If you do it wrong, it hurts. That's about all I know about it.

·
Super Moderator
23,763 Posts

I wouldn't worry about it. You don't catch enough fish to need two live wells.

·
Registered
19,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

TATERDAVID said:
I wouldn't worry about it. You don't catch enough fish to need two live wells.
The back live well is for my guests on the boat. But you'll never have to worry about using it.

My uncle and I spent about three hours trying to figure it out tonight. We still can't get the pump work for the back live well. I even looked to see if there was a separate pump for the back well but there isn't. I did find out the recirculator is only for the back live well and is working. There is no recirculator on the front tank. So, if worse comes to worse, I can fill the back well with a bucket and recirculate the water when needed.

·
Super Moderator
23,763 Posts

Like others have said, I could probably help ya out but won't be in your area for awhile.

Don't you have a sea nymph, my dads fills by removing a plug I think. Then has a pump to resurculate. Your not confusing the bilge pump are you.

·
Registered
7,160 Posts

Hey Buckethead, if ya don't get it figured out, I could come over and try and help ya out. It's just power and a ground. I'd run a temp line from the switch to the pump. If the pump works, you know you got a wiring issue. If it doesn't, the switch may be bad.

·
Registered
19,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

No, I have a Monarch. I'm not confusing the bilge pump with anything. The boat has fore and aft live wells. They get filled by the same pump. The pump is run on a rocker switch. It works when you switch it to fill the front well. It doesn't work when you switch it to the rear well. The switch indicates both front and rear wells but you bring up an interesting point about the plug. From what I recall, the pump used to fill the rear well. If I can't figure it out I'll try removing the well plug to see if that works when I get it on the water. I used to have a sea nymph but the well filled by the pump, not by removing the plug. There was no recirculator on it. It had a long plug with an overflow on it and if you wanted to freshen it up, you'd just pump more water in it and the excess would go out the over flow. This boat has the same type of plug. Around a 10" piece of conduit that screws into the bottom of the well.

·
Super Moderator
23,763 Posts

Maybe a dead mouse stuck in the line

·
Registered
19,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

That doesn't explain why the pump doesn't turn on

·
Registered
19,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Well, I finally figured out the problem. A 61 year old (Uncle Howie) and a 44 year old (me) apparently can't fix it. It takes a seven year old. I crawled back under the back deck to make sure the rear well didn't fill by back-filling through the drain. I saw the back tank line was connected via a 3 way splitter with the pump line and the feed line to the front tank. So, thinking along the line of Taters smart alec comment about the mouse stuck in the line....
..... I decided to see if maybe it was blocked by sediment. I tried to remove the line from the tank to blow compressed air down the hose but was having a tough time because there isn't much room under there. I saw the elbow at the tank was removable So I decided that would be easier than laying on my back, messing with the hose. I wondered aloud how the elbow removed from the tank and the Wee Man, who was seated next to me helping, said, "I think you unscrew these black things" Which were in the lines in the tank. So, I gave one a twist and it started to loosen.

Yeah.......they're plugs.
You open them to allow water to fill the live well and tighten them down if you don't want to use the live well. They were tightened all the way down. The pump fills both wells at the same time. The rocker switch is unnecessary but they put it on there anyway

And yes, I called my uncle to tell him how dumb he was.

·
Super Moderator
23,763 Posts

Your welcome.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts