The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was very fortune enough to receive a gift from my late Uncle. It was a T/C Hawken flintlock that he built in the late 50-60s. It was lost to the family and just turned up in a house clean out. My Aunt told me he would want me to have it, so and I took possession of this rifle. WOW its amazing the wood is nearly perfect and strong blue color.

I have limited knowledge of this caliber. I hunt with a 50 cal Hawken that my pops gave and always used the load he passed down and killed many deer, mind ya. But I also realize each gun has its own preferred taste. I just want to get an idea where to start with load development. I will post a pic of this rifle soon. I am speechless to being given such a fine gun.:smile2:

·
Registered
19,942 Posts
I have a .45 T/C Hawken. Mine loves 70 gr of ffG, and a patched roundball using .018 blue stripe pillow ticking for a patch. It belonged to a dear friend of mine who passed from cancer several years ago.

·
Registered
6,426 Posts
In my TC 45 Seneca I'm running 55grs of FFFg but it's a light frame gun.My 45 TC Hawkens gets 70 grs of FFFg.TC's generally like .015-.018 pillow and either .440-.445 RB.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found a pretty good load 65 grains for reg 3f goex black powder pushing treated cloth patch round ball 45 cal hornady brand. I was able to get 2 inch group, three shot at 75 yards. This should be money for any deer that walks in the shooting lanes! I can not wait to smoke one!
Koz

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I had a .45 cal TC Hawken back in the 70's-80's that I built from a kit. TC kit rifles had a "K" prefix in those days. It was very accurate with a 240 gr TC maxi over 90 gr of 3f. I had a Lyman peep sight and I shot some 3" groups at 100 yards. I also got acceptable accuracy with 80 gr of 3f and a cloth patched roundball.

Note that my eyes were a lot better then.....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts