The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the Flintlock itch this year. I think it will be really good, if we can get some cold/snow. Rifle season here had terrible warm, sunny weather almost everyday.
My issue, my PA Pellet has been loaded in my gunsafe since the 2010 season. Is it ruined? Can I shoot it w/o worrying about maiming/killing myself? Should I buy a CO2 system to blow it out?
I ask only advice. I'm sure I deserve a lecture. But, I already know I messed up.
Thanks!

·
Registered
12,520 Posts
Blow it out if you can. A simple air compressor can do it if you have one of those have a blow gun and hold a rubber sink valve washer between the blow gun orifice and the touch hole to seal the air leaks.

Your barrel should be fine, assuming the gun has been out of humid conditions.

Of course you can use the old Dixie proof method. Tie the gun to an old tire pick the touch hole, prime the gun, cock the hammer and use 30 ft or string to pull the trigger

Black powder is very stabile over time. I have used 120 yr old powder with no bad effects.

BTW, make sure the gun is pointed in a safe direction

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Does it have the speed breech? If it does you can get it out by pushing it through. I've shot them out before that old and older for friends. I just take the touchhole out add some fresh ffff or fff, not too much, and clear it.

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
I'd pull the bullet and touch off the charge just to hear the bang.

That's what I do at the end of every season, save the bullet as next year's fouler.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
if it's a roundball you can bull it no problem, but if it one of those funky brass/copper things you will have to blow it out either with co2 or my adding some pan powder to it and shooting it out. Where in Centre co do you live?

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
Tussey, use your air compressor. I do it all the time. I pull the lock assembly, unscrew the touch hole liner, point the muzzle in a safe direction, and with a 100 to 120 psi of air pressure, place the blow tip with a rubber end to the touch hole and squeeze.
Give gun a good cleaning then and your good to go.
I'm sure with your business you have all the necessary equipment.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. I will try the air. The tire method sounds more exciting, for sure. But, I better stay on the safe side, having a small infant in the house and all...
Brewyak, I am not far from Port Matilda. Our paths have probably crossed, if you hunt the state land in the mountains.

·
Registered
868 Posts
air compressor trick works well. Be sure the barrel is pointed in a safe direction because it can carry some speed when it leaves the rifle.

Mark

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I do hunt in the state lands if you ever go to the port hotel let me know I live close by

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
Tussey, if its loaded with a roundball, maxiball, or a power belt, I have a ball puller you can use. Pm me, I work in state college, we can meet up and get it taken care of.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts