The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I shot an 8 tonight. It was just beofre dark and when i shot i heard the arrow crack a tree. I thought the shot was high. I found the back end of my arrow snapped at the fletching blood on it seems like it went through and then hit a tree. I found a blood trail, decent blood. Small spray here and there mostly drops. Tracked for over 100yds blood slowed to a few drops every foot or two. He headd into thick brush, I backed out and wont be able to go look for him ntil after work tom. Never had to track a deer that far, anyone of you blood people have any idea where I hit him?

·
Registered
226 Posts
shot could be anywhere... snapped at the fletching, that seems a bit odd to me. I take it it was a passthrough?? Any bubbles in the blood?? Letting him lay the night is good. When you say after work tomorrow, you mean tomorrow morning or only after 3-4 in the afternoon??? Gonna be a long night and work day.. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
All you found was the back few inches of the arrow?? Thatd tell me it wasnt a pass through...the rest is likely in him and he snapped that part off as he ran....

What was the shot like? Angle...distance....where do you think you hit??? I know it happens fast...and maybe ive been lucky...but i know where my arrows hit...

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was pretty dark an the shot was about 30yds I heard the arrow hit the tree and by the looks of the fletching it passed through. The rest of the arrow maybe be around. I should be able to find it tom. when it is light out. I didnt not see many bubbles in the blood. I will be home from work around 3pm tom. He was down hill at a slight angle and I made the shot from the ground.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
i'd be calling off sick. Overnight temps. will be alright. But what is daytime temps for tomarrow?

·
Registered
226 Posts
If you never had a deer go over 100 yards after you shot it, you are one lucky son of a gun. From the information in your post I can conclude that your arrow went through the deer and hit a tree, and you saw a few bubbles but not many in the blood. I would guess your deer is laying within 100 yards of where you backed out. Let us know how you make out. Good luck!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts