The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Turkey season may be over, but who isn't already thinking about next year... I shoot a Benelli Super Black Eagle (12 gauge 3 1/2" mag) and I've been shooting Winchester Longbeard XR's (#5 shot) for the past few years. I've had very good luck with this combination, however I shot this year with my best friend who shoots a Mossberg 500 3" and his patterns at 40-50 yards were quite a bit better than mine after he bought a new choke (can't quite remember what brand off hand). Since then I've been looking into trying out a new choke tube for next year's turkey season and I figured what better place to get advice than HPA...

I have heard many good things about the PatternMaster Benelli/Beretta Mobile Classic Long Range. I keep looking at it and can't quite talk myself into pulling the trigger on buying one of these. Has anybody had any experience with this combination at all, and if so do you have any thoughts?

I'm also keeping my mind open about other brands as well. I've looked at the Carlson LB XR choke (which actually has its own forum string at the moment). I'd also be open to any suggestions outside the named products.

·
Registered
356 Posts
We have the Patternmaster Classic Long Range for the SBEII and 2 Browning 10ga's. they throw an awesome pattern at 50 yards. I killed a fox at 55 yards with lead BBs.. the thing I like about that choke is it will shoot lead and steel from 8 shot all the way down to 4B..

·
Registered
18,622 Posts
I'm shooting a Rhino Choke (.660) in my Benelli SBE2 and getting fantastic results. Unfortunately I've deleted most of my patterning pics.
I shoot MagBlends and Hevishot #7 primarily. I do have to say that my Mossberg 835 patterns better however. Can't beat those 835's with the correct choke/load IMHO. I'm shooting a Rhino (.695) in my Mossberg. I've experimented with various chokes/loads over the years and have settled with my current combos. I use to shoot Nitro Ammo but since the cost went up to $89 I gave up on it. MagBlends perform almost as good.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
I`m shooting a Rhino Ported .670 in my 835 with #6 Federal 3.5`s and getting fantastic results. Once you decide on a choke tube, my advise would be to try different ammo brands and loads and see what best suites you. Good Luck with what ever choke you decide on....

·
Registered
9,145 Posts
I have an SBE as well and I have a Kick's Gobbling Thunder for turkeys and a Patternmaster for waterfowl and something else for predators and am happy with all of them and the loads I shoot. (I was shooting Winchester Supreme 5's but just picked up a box of Long Beard 4's for next year so I can't comment on how they shoot yet.)

One thing you might want to have done is have your forcing cone lengthened by a gun smith. I did and it helped my pattern.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.