The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking on buying a vent free fireplace. Would like to know any pros or cons anybody might have. Is the price of propane high? A coworker said he heard that they leave a yellowish residue on the walls and furniture. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
20,868 Posts
I had a vent free in my old house and a vented one in my new house.Never had an issue with any residue or moisture build up with either.The price of propane is high.I'd take a vent free one any day over a vented one.The vent free units throw a ton more heat.With a vented one,you're money is going right out the vent.I like having one.It's instant heat and they work when the power goes out.

·
Banned
4,988 Posts
dce said:
I had a vent free in my old house and a vented one in my new house.Never had an issue with any residue or moisture build up with either.The price of propane is high.I'd take a vent free one any day over a vented one.The vent free units throw a ton more heat.With a vented one,you're money is going right out the vent.I like having one.It's instant heat and they work when the power goes out.
Had mine for 7 years, great heat, everything dce said.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
We had a vent free unit in our fireplace, we had a lot of moisture/condensation on our windows. Water is a natural byproduct of burning propane and natural gas. I took it out and installed a wood stove insert. That was money well spent. My heating cost per year is less than $100 in gas, oil, and chains for my saw. I am not saying to go that route, but you might want to do more research.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts