The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am struggling picking a pose for my archery buck this year. He is very heavy and has a broken tine on both sides. His left side with the longer main beam has a broken G3 and the right has a broken G4. His right ear is also ripped through which I am getting on the finished mount.

I currently have a buck mounted in a semi sneak right turn so I am going to probably have this one turned left. I am considering a full sneak offset, wall pedestal, or a semi sneak head up, (and all the regular poses). The rack has a nice spread and is heavy how can I best display this? I'm especially looking for advice from taxi's. Here are the pics....

Here is the one he'll be beside 08 Buck....

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you right now. I really like the hooking aggressive pose.

http://www.mckenziesp.com/Specialty-C42.aspx

When I pick a mount I usually like to pick a pose that automatically makes me think of how the deer was acting right before I shot it. i.e. my buck this year was grunting and had his head pointed down the whole time. I just feel that the hooking pose brings this for my buck in particular. Best of luck in your decision.

·
Registered
16,275 Posts
Shippinit said:
When I pick a mount I usually like to pick a pose that automatically makes me think of how the deer was acting right before I shot it.
Bingo

I do the same thing. Makes for the best mount for you...

·
Registered
107 Posts
Look at the antlers on the "hooking" pose and then look at the antlers on the "head-up" series in the mckenzie link.

In my opinion the "hooking" pose points the antlers at you because of the head drop and I think it accentuates the broken points. The "head-up" does the opposite, I think it almost hides broken points some.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Full sneak,head up right turn with the ears laid back just alittle. Should look great with that rack. JMO Stuffer, 10 yr. taxidermist

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all your advice everyone! I was considering the the McKenzie 64U and the Matt Thompson 9000 series Head up semi sneak or Joe Meder Head up offset series. The last two are more of an extreme head up pose.

I think I have it narrowed down to the 3 semi sneak head up poses and the full sneak offset series..

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
this is a crappy pic taken a few years ago with cell phone but the pose is cool. hard to tell by the angle but the head is semi upright but the chin is down slightly (almost like a strutting gobbler head) and ears laid back ready to fight

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
My favorite forms are the Joe Coombs classics....

I have had my last 2 bucks mounted on these and they are fantastic and my taxidermist loves them after trying them for the first time on my 07' buck. Doubt I'll ever use another McKenzie form.

Here are 2 of my archery bucks on Coombs forms:

Pose is personal taste but I've never been a fan of "trick" poses such as head up, down, agressive etc..... or full sneak or any of the straight looks....I like simple classic sweeps , offsets and pedestals on a good form to add some dynamics to the animal.
My favorite pose is probably a good turn on an offset with a semi-upright posture.
That's what the bottom buck is mounted on.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts