The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I need some advice.
I have a 2007 chevy silverado with about 160,000 miles. It runs great, no problems at all.
It is beginning to rust in the normal places. So, it is in need of some body work, nothing major, and a paint job.
I am no good at either.
I just hate to even think about buying another truck at the prices they are asking for used ones.
Should I get body work and paint job or look at getting rid of it.
I know this is a personal decision, but would like some thoughts from you all.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I would get it painted as long as the frame, cab corners, and spring hangers are ok. Hard to beat rust once it starts but you can extend life 5 years or so.

·
Registered
9,974 Posts
. I wouldn't spend any money on body work, if you can stand looking at it.
Amen. Once it starts rusting, you may hide it for a while, but you will NEVER stop it and will just have to keep dumping money on a problem. Run it until it won't pass inspection any longer, sell it for parts and don't look back. At some point you will have to pay for a newer truck and the prices will not get any better, ever.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Been a professional tech for 14 years now (not body), and I can tell you once the rust starts it doesn’t stop. I probably wouldn’t even mess with it, but if you really want to fix it, make sure you have it looked over real good first and make sure it doesn’t need a bunch of other work. I can’t even tell you how many times people come into the shop and say they just put tons of money into body work and then I get it in the air and it needs $2000 more in mechanical work. (And yes new truck prices are insane)

·
Registered
870 Posts
Hi guys. I need some advice.
I have a 2007 chevy silverado with about 160,000 miles. It runs great, no problems at all.
It is beginning to rust in the normal places. So, it is in need of some body work, nothing major, and a paint job.
I am no good at either.
I just hate to even think about buying another truck at the prices they are asking for used ones.
Should I get body work and paint job or look at getting rid of it.
I know this is a personal decision, but would like some thoughts from you all.
Thanks in advance.
Once they start to rust, they will continue to have rust spots pop out, especially around the rocker panels and fender areas. I just traded in my 2007 Avalanche that I bought new in 2006, it had 124,000 miles on it and I had for areas where the paint was bubbling and had rust under the paint, the repairs were perfect and you would never know and it was not repaired with bondo but metal. I started having pesky problems with codes being sent to my info center that could not be found when the garage out the computer on the truck and drove it. I decided to get rid of the truck which I really liked because I was not going to continue to be nickeled and dimed. I traded on a 2020 Silverado Custom, got a good deal because it was Employee price sale days. I am quite certain this will be the last vehicle I ever buy, The Avalanche was 14 years old and I take care of my vehicles. I figured better to trade the Avalanche in now while I can still get something for it than wait till I have to have it towed into the dealership.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Going through the same with my 2010 Silverado 1500 LTZ I bought new before I retired. Great truck been out west 4 times pulled my RV to Florida for the winter months "before covid" Had the back wheels wells fixed with metal a couple months back " only rust " surprise were I live to buy me some time. One thing I know it won't be the same package I have now, No way in heck I'm going to pay 60,000 bucks, The price of used and new is scary, My truck looks to good to sell but I know it's time to start looking . Of course the bride has a lot to say in this matter:cautious:

·
Super Moderator
2,514 Posts
If you buy new, invest the $1k for zebart. Free yearly touch ups. Well worth the $ considering vehicle pricing and especially if you plan on keeping it long term. Bought a new crew 6.7 superduty in 16 and have no sign of rust.

Reactions: Country Roads

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Been there, done that, wore out the T shirt, Tried to keep my 2005 work truck forever.

135K new upper and lower ball joints. 220K re-man trans [$4,000.00 wasted]

240K starting to miss #2 and #6 show oil fouling [4.3 V6] and the tech says, unlike years ago, it may not be the valve guides. and the front end needed ball joints, axle shafts and more so I went shopping instead of spending more and the dealer said it wasn't worth taking to auction, he's going to junk it...so much for that reman trans....

Stop spending and move on.

Reactions: Country Roads

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys for all your advice. I think I know the answer. Ughh, i hate to spend that kind of money on a truck. But at least i know not to dump money into my current truck.
I should have been born 150 years ago🙂

·
Registered
25,593 Posts
Don't know how it is in your area, but around here there are lots loaded with used pickups only a few years old and at half the price of a new one. Car Fax check will reveal any past accidents/repairs and the history of most trucks. Back in '70 when I bought my first truck, good used pickups were hard to find. Not the case these days, as they sell lots of new trucks, compared to the 70s

At the end of 2019, my 2014 Silverado was T-boned to the tune of $10K in repairs. Found several used ones on the Chevy dealer's lot to choose from, if I wanted to swap mine (repaired), for a newer one. Almost did, when I found a 2017 w/36,000 miles, same color and equipment as mine. Could've swapped for a three year newer truck with half my mileage and the balance of the warranty, for $15K. That truck was sold the same day I looked at it, so just had mine repaired.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
I would love to go the slightly used 1 or 2 yr old truck. i was looking to do that before I bought my 2016 F150. But try finding one with a 8' bed was impossible in a f150. Nothing out there but 6' beds and most were loaded with stuff I dont need or want. Plenty of f250 8' beds tho. I gave up and ordered what I wanted .

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Don't know how it is in your area, but around here there are lots loaded with used pickups only a few years old and at half the price of a new one. Car Fax check will reveal any past accidents/repairs and the history of most trucks. Back in '70 when I bought my first truck, good used pickups were hard to find. Not the case these days, as they sell lots of new trucks, compared to the 70s

At the end of 2019, my 2014 Silverado was T-boned to the tune of $10K in repairs. Found several used ones on the Chevy dealer's lot to choose from, if I wanted to swap mine (repaired), for a newer one. Almost did, when I found a 2017 w/36,000 miles, same color and equipment as mine. Could've swapped for a three year newer truck with half my mileage and the balance of the warranty, for $15K. That truck was sold the same day I looked at it, so just had mine repaired.
I wish those deals where around here:(

1 - 20 of 34 Posts