1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nucanoe frontier

Looking for a 12 foot nucanoe frontier in sand or camo. Cash in hand

·
Registered
605 Posts
Re: Nucanoe frontier

I like your plan. Some would say not to disc after the second round up spray. I plan on spraying in the next two weeks, wait for a week to 10 days and roto-till, drag, plant/fertilize and then pack .

Will

·
Registered
700 Posts

It looks like your plan is spot on. Just keep in mind that everytime you disk, you are bringing new seed from the seed bank up to the surface so I may skip the second disking and just run a drag before planting like Will mentioned.
I have found brassicas are typically able to outcompete weeds if steps are taken to control them in first place which you are obviously doing.
For clover plots, I still deal with weeds every year. Mowing is a great weed control. But I still spray mine for grasses and broadleafs every year.
I'm not sure I would plant an annual clover but if you do, maybe mix in some rye or wheat to help keep out the weeds.
Good luck in your efforts!

·
Registered
52,306 Posts

Sounds like a good plan, however you should try planting some turnips in August, deer love them....

·
Registered
127 Posts

Thanks guys. I appreciate the input. Maybe I will skip the second disking and see how I do. It will definitely save me some time.
The plots are still rough, carved out of the woods with as much rock as dirt in some places. My goal is to eventually get to perennial clovers. I like the idea of the rye/wheat in the annual clover mix, I will definitely add that to the mix. I should have been more specific on the brassica mix, there is some turnip seed in there. If things go as planned I will have both turnip and radish growing.
So the plan is sound...........now we have to see about my execution of the plan. Thanks again for the input. It is appreciated.

·
Registered
408 Posts

Bad weed problem in fall plots. Might want up your seeding rate. Personally I double the recommended rates. Are you discing to bare dirt? Post a pic of your seed bed.

·
Registered
12,373 Posts
For my fall food plots, I am no longer spraying with roundup as I don't feel I gain that much benefit from the cost. The annuals that you plant in the fall will out compete the weeds anyway. By spring you will get new weeds starting in the clover. Yes they may help a little but to me I just don't see the benefit exceeding the cost. This is provided that you have the equipment to plow/disk or till the ground. If just using an ATV or something to scarify then I would still spray.

Also not sure when you are going to plant, but there is certain amount of time that you have to give roundup to dissipate before planting. Maybe 2 weeks? I would disk right before planting and this will give the stuff you plant a jump on the weeds. Consistent mowing in clover will help keep the weeds under control.

Another issue that you have is that small plots, the weeds are a constant battle since the seeds easily get blown into your plot from outside of it. My plots are small and I have the same issues.

I have given up on having perfectly clean plots. I have found that deer will still eat the stuff even if it has some weeds mixed in. I remember a couple of years ago, I was spot spraying some weeds that had come up in the plot. About half way thru I noticed that they were all being browsed by the deer, so I quit spraying.

Please let us know what you plant and take some pics!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts