The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Put my 1st food plot in this year of BuckWheat and it did really well. A couple weeks ago it was about 3' high and the deer were really in it however after one of those pounding rain storms it all got knocked down and since then I have not had many deer cam photos in the plot.

Will it come back or is it time to plow it under and plant some turnips?

·
Registered
406 Posts
I mowed my buckwheat and plowed it under this past weekend. Then I started the fall plots.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
WhitetailFreak said:
plow it under and plant turnips
Get the turnips in NOW. Getting a
little late for them, depending where you are.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Will the turnips bring deer in the early fall or not until winter?

I have heard 2 different stories on this.

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
Planted turnips here in lehigh county last year, deer never touched them, just walked right through them.

Planted turnips in the southern tier of N.Y., deer up there ate all the tops off and dug up the snow to get the turnips. When i tilled the field this Spring, I only noticed one turnip that they missed.

You won't know how the deer will take to turnips until you try them.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
super-x said:
Will the turnips bring deer in the early fall or not until winter?

I have heard 2 different stories on this.
I've found that it depends on how many deer in relation to available food. If there isn't enough food, they will eat them as soon as they sprout. If there is plenty of other more desirable food, they'll let them alone until February or not touch them at all.

I've seen a 5 acre field of them near Allentown devoured in about 3 weeks in November. Saw a small field of them in Lebanon County, virtually untouched all winter.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Also depends on the mast crop.
If there's a good acorn crop it will delay the use of the brassica food source until a snowfall that makes it harder to get to the acorns or when the supply is starting to be depleted.
The problem with all these experiences is taking them in isolation. I have had braassica plots grow 20 inches tall and not be touched until after hunting season to having them eaten as soon as they grew. It takes several years of experience on one site before you can really isolate the variables.
I planted 2.5 acres of brassica a week ago and will plant another 1.5 acres this week. I have a very good mast crop this year so I expect the plots to really help the deer out come January and February.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts