The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm completely new to muzzleloader hunting and just got a Lyman deerstalker .50 flintlock as a gift. I need to buy all the required accesories and was looking to get some input on what essentials I'll need. I'd also appreciate any load suggestions for sighting it in and then for deer hunting. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
12,267 Posts
There has been a few threads just like this. The guys at the store will be more than happy to seel you 500 bucks worth of seldom used accessories. There is the bare minimum, the pretty handy, the seldom used but nice to haves, and thhe "what did I buy that fors"

Real black powder, 2fg or 3fg. If you get 3fg, you can get by with thhat in the pan as well.

round balls, .490 0r .495

patches, perhaps 10 to 15 thousandths

use spit for lube cheap, always have it with you etcc. liquid cooking oil works well too

a powder measure. preferrably adjustable 50 to 100 grains

ball starter

a paper clip, to use as a touchhole pick.

an extra flint, a ball puller, pliers swcrew driver, range rod, tackle box to carry stuff, powder flask or horn, priming horn, extra flint leather, tool to knapp the edge of the flint, cleaning patches, bore cleaner, gun oil, the list can go on and on.

One of the things about muzzleloader shooters, we tend to take pride in making things for ourselves. Ball starter, ball block, ball pouch, possible bag, powder measures etc, are all relatively easy to make. Take and antler spike and drill it out for a measure, (or just use an old cartridge case.) A ball starter is as simple as a knob fastened to a stout dowel Where in central pa are you? I believe Blue Ridge has their Labor Day rendezvous in 9 days You could visit those shooters annd get some pointers, and maybe even pick up some equipment from a trade blanket.
Of course, that is just a skip from Dixon's.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I believe you are in an area where there are alot of weekend shoots going on. What I would do, if I were you, was try to find one of these shoots and attend. Take your rifle with you. There will be plenty of guys there that would be willing to get you started. And then you could learn alot, and also learn exactly what you need in order to do exactly what you want to do.

We can sit here and list all kinds of products that may or may not work for you. The real way to learn is get out there and do it. And a weekend shoot at a local club would be the best way to learn. Tom.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am in the Lancaster area but will be away until mid Sept. so I'll try to get to a shoot when I'm back.

Thanks for the advice. It is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
6,477 Posts
Lymans like thick patches because they have deeper cut rifling.Most use .018-.020.Had 3 Deerstalker in the past.Most liked 80 grs of FFg,.490 RB,.018 patch.Start working on tight groups now.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Im in SE York Co so if you want to go to Delta Peach Bottom and shoot Id be glad to take you ---just PM me.

·
Registered
539 Posts
A ball puller? (although it can't be prudent to disagree with you) I've found them to be about worthless. No entirely worthless. I guess maybe if a ball came halfway out on a shot. I've never had that happen. Still I would need a better tool.
Tell me why I would use one? Certainly a little extra ffff in the touch hole for my occasional oops I forgot the powder. (Sorry to get off track)
I'm North of you in Harrisburg and would, like almost anyone here, be glad to show you the basics.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
my daughters deerstalker she shoots 50grs 3f 490rb with a .18patch for target practice she hunts with 70grs of powder they are great shooting guns

·
Registered
12,267 Posts
well soupe, I have used a ball puller a fair number of times. Never had a problem with them. Used them to unload guns purchased at auctions, flea markets etc, You have to push a bunch of powder through a touch hole to get enough to push a ball out. In addition, I am not always at a safe place to shoot a ball. Some times the old nipples are clogged and stuck. There is a host of reasons to be able to pull a ball. The one i use is a screw thread on one end and a machine thread on the other. The bolt end threads into the ram rod end, the screw end is placed down against the ball. turning the ram rod causes the screw to imbed itself into the lead ball. When it is screwed into the ball, you pull the ram rod, and if you have the screw threaded into the ball, the patched ball will come out. You do need a sharp end on the screw threads.

I used my ball puller just a few weeks ago, to pull a load out of an old muzzleloader shotgun a buddy bought. Even trying to put some powder under the nipple of an antigue to shoot out the load could be dangerous. The ball puller, yanked the wads out just fine.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
soupe said:
A ball puller? (although it can't be prudent to disagree with you) I've found them to be about worthless. No entirely worthless. I guess maybe if a ball came halfway out on a shot. I've never had that happen. Still I would need a better tool.
Tell me why I would use one? Certainly a little extra ffff in the touch hole for my occasional oops I forgot the powder. (Sorry to get off track)
I'm North of you in Harrisburg and would, like almost anyone here, be glad to show you the basics.
got stuck in a downpour once with my flintlock and the pan was soaked as well as the flash hole. I tried wiping out the pan back inside camp, with a paper towel, and could not get it to flash after almost an hour of drying, and re-priming. I then used a ball puller and it was out in 3 seconds.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
wampire said:
soupe said:
got stuck in a downpour once with my flintlock and the pan was soaked as well as the flash hole. I tried wiping out the pan back inside camp, with a paper towel, and could not get it to flash after almost an hour of drying, and re-priming. I then used a ball puller and it was out in 3 seconds.
There ya go! Ball puller is something you don't wanna go without! Last fall there was hardly a decent day when it wasn't raining during the early muzzy. Those of us who chose to go traditional and use flintlocks, had quite the time keepin our powder dry. Once it's wet, she ain't goin' boom! so pulling the ball out with a puller is bout the only way to get it out! Good luck!

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
I have two ball pullers. Got the second one because the first one couldn't pull anything. The threads were too fine. If you get one (I recommend you do) try to find one with course threads.

If your gun likes a tight load you will have problems getting a ball out if you forget the powder. My grandfather forgot his powder a few years ago, and all he got with the puller was lead shavings with the fine thread puller. Had to remove the nipple and dump powder in.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
There were a few times I had to use mine, esp at the range. Start talking to people, while loading and wala you just dry ball'd

·
Registered
539 Posts
Yea well I guess I knew better than to doubt you. A shop ball puller would be ticket with the antique or if your unsure about a secondhander. Unfortunately I only have a couple modern throwbacks.
All those other problems however I must say compressed air or back filling the touch hole will save you an hour.
I have a ball puller. I just find it worthless in my narrow minded hunk of the universe.
Thanks and like I said I should have known better. Again sorry to pirate your thread.

·
Registered
12,267 Posts
As someone above indicated, if you have one that is too fine, it will simply strip the lead and be impossible to pull. I have had very good luck with them. It usually takes longer to locate the ball puller in my possible bag than to pull the ball. Takes about 2 minutes to pull a ball, if that. But Soupe, I can understand that it is often easier to blow the ball out. And sometimes, there is a knack to using a tool or performing a task. For the life of me I have never been able to get the knack of soldering a copper pipe joint. For some people it is a piece of cake from age 12 on. (Thank God for PEX tubing.)

·
Registered
539 Posts
2 minutes really...Geez what a new goal, fall 2010 the year I learn to...dare I say ballpull? by the way cook the line a hair more, then cap. 1 darn boiling drop from out of nowhere makes it an impossible task.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts