The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girlfriend wants to learn to shoot. She's not TERRIBLY enthusiastic about it, but she agrees since we have guns in the house she should know how to use them correctly and safely. She has never, in her entire life, shot so much as a bb gun, so she will be starting from scratch.

Here's the thing, she's wrong-eyed. Her left eye is dominant, she has a slight astigmatism in her right eye, but she's right handed. Now, all of my firearms are right-handed. Most of them could be fired left handed though things like bolts, safeties, and breech locks would be a little awkward.

Do I teach her to squint her dominant eye to shoot with her dominant hand given that my firearms are designed for right-handed shooting, or should she shoot left-handed and use her dominant eye?

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
Let her try a .22 from both sides and see which side she feels most comfortable with.

·
Registered
25,523 Posts
Not much of a problem with handguns, but right handed bolt guns are nearly impossible to shoot well with a left eye dominant situation.

Here's one "trick" I've used in that situation: Let the person shoot lefthand and teach them to tightly grip the buttstock between their left elbow and ribcage (barrel slightly elevated upwards), left hand remaining firmly on stock wrist area, while working the bolt with their right hand.

It works well with light weight rifles, like most 22s. Practice it a bit yourself, then see if the "student" can adapt that method.

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
DennyF said:
Not much of a problem with handguns, but right handed bolt guns are nearly impossible to shoot well with a left eye dominant situation.

Here's one "trick" I've used in that situation: Let the person shoot lefthand and teach them to tightly grip the buttstock between their left elbow and ribcage (barrel slightly elevated upwards), left hand remaining firmly on stock wrist area, while working the bolt with their right hand.

It works well with light weight rifles, like most 22s. Practice it a bit yourself, then see if the "student" can adapt that method.

I hope you are not saying that right hand bolt guns are difficult for a left hander to use. I don't think that's what you're saying but I'm not following you. I've used right hand bolt guns left handed ever since I can remember without a problem or difficulty.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
having never shot befor what they know and what you can teach them are up for grabs. i'd be more concerend with the pushbutton safties. but you can also teach that in reverse as well. if they feel the safty it will fire. and honestly imo unless your hunting birds or bunnies which direction the safty pushes is irrelivent, its just what we learned when we first started to shoot

·
Registered
25,523 Posts
but right handed bolt guns are nearly impossible to shoot well "right handed" with a left eye dominant situation.
That any better?

·
Registered
4,639 Posts
I would just have her squint her left eye.

Thats what I've always done.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Have her shoot both eyes open and in reality you should teach her to shoot from her dominant eye side regardless of her dominant hand.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Start her on a handgun.

Its 100% opposite of what I would say if she wasnt wrong eyed. However, YOU need to get her comfortable shooting, start with a 22lr revolver. Once she sends a bunch downrange, then adapt her to a wrong side (for her) rifle. She would know what the bang is going to be, and wouldn't be scared of it.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Go on the web or to the library and get Jack OConnors articles for beginning shooters. If she can read, after finishing Jacks tutoring, she will be able to shoot. He said and I agree, the best shooters in history were greehorns with no bad habits, they only learned the right way.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
I'm left handed and right eye dominant. I shoot right handed. When I first tried to shoot when I was a kid my Dad had me try left handed first. It felt awkward and weird, let alone the eye issue. Switched over to the other side, and haven't looked back since.

I do shoot a hand gun left handed. I feel like I have more control with the left over the right.

One thing I think helps me shooting a rifle is I can hold the front forearm of a gun with my most dominant arm alowing my to better control where the muzzle is pointed. SAme holds true while shooting a bow.

·
Registered
25,523 Posts
He said and I agree, the best shooters in history were greehorns with no bad habits, they only learned the right way.
Over the past 25 years, having helped teach new shooters the basics during our club's NRA firearms classes, I would have to agree.

And to further that a bit, most of those taking classes such as Basic Pistol, are women. Some had a little shooting experience, most did not. Almost without exception, they pay attention to the instructors and quickly learn how to hit what they're aiming at. Generally speaking, they make very good pupils.

The same can often not be said for men taking such classes, as many already think they know everything there is to know, as if men are somehow born with the ability to shoot well and properly.

After all this time, the only AD experienced during such a class, was a man who refused to put his jammed pistol down when told to do so and managed to plant a round in the dirt in front of him. He wasn't stupid, since he was a medical doctor, just another bullheaded know-it-all. His wife was a much better student.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
Many years ago I helped with a special class put on by my fellow Hunter Safety Instructor Paul Foster. We took some school teachers to PGC range outside of New Florence on Gl 42 and let them shoot shotguns, rifles (.22) and I had one female shoot my .22-250 at a gallon jug of water. Since I was with several WCO's no problem with not shooting a standard target. The females with no experience were the best shots of the day proving to me that Jack O'Conner was right about those with no bad habits.

·
Registered
25,523 Posts
One of my favorite classes years ago, was the one when a right beautiful gal showed up with a little 22 short-only Beretta pistol.

When the head instructor was going thru proper grip procedures prior to the actual firing exercise, I noticed that one of my gal's fancy, long fingernails was slightly in front of the muzzle, so I had to give her a personal grip instructional. Got some grief for that from another instructor.

After firing quite a few rounds at 7 yard targets (load one round, fire on the command of the chief instructor), we eventually progressed to letting them each load a full cylinder/magazine and shoot as much as they wanted to (still supervised), within about a 20 minute period.

When the class headed back to the clubhouse for their written exam, we pulled the targets. The only ones with all bulls eye shots, were from "my" pupil. Chief instructor was amazed at the only babe shooting 22 shorts, managed to get every shot in the bull.

When he asked us how that was even possible, naturally I said it had to have been superior coaching?

·
Registered
10,309 Posts
Poke her in the left eye (accidentally) with a stick before you start.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Ever smear grease on the left lens of shooting glasses?
Have used this with good success!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts