The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELP!!!.....i have been hunting whitetail and turkey for 16 years with a camp of close to 40 guys and not one has ever duck hunted. I am extremely interested in learning how and where. i live in delaware county and im not even sure if this part of the state even offers good locations....i am looking to you fine people to point me in the right direction.....is going to an out of state outfitter a good way to "literally" get my feet wet?

·
Registered
74 Posts
If you are trying to decide whether you want to hunt ducks or not and just want to try it, then going with an outfitter would be a good call. MD has some good ones. Be sure and wait until the ducks get here before you go other wise you'll have a hard time getting any. If after you go and decide that you love it then you can start laying out the cash you'll need to get in the game.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Going with a guide is a good way to shoot, but not a very accurate way to find out what duck hunting is really like for a new guy.

Duck hunting is expensive and will cost you a lot more than deer and turkey hunting combined. If you like to hunt, you'll love duck hunting. It's the investment into clothes, waders, calls, decoys, watercraft and maybe even a dog you need to consider. Because even if you say you don't need it to start, you will.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
You live in Delaware county, maybe goose hunting in your area but it's not home to any great duck hunting.
Being so close you should go East and concentrate on NJ which has far more ducks than the Philly area.

Hooking up with a guide would be a good way to start. You'll learn things like, decoy placement, decoy numbers, how wind direction affects the hunt, calling, gun, choke, ammo, and equipment necessary for killing ducks.

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
DTaylor said:
Duck hunting is expensive and will cost you a lot more than deer and turkey hunting combined. If you like to hunt, you'll love duck hunting. It's the investment into clothes, waders, calls, decoys, watercraft, AMMO and maybe even a dog you need to consider. Because even if you say you don't need it to start, you will.
DT pretty much nailed it. Figured I would add the ammo part since at $20+/box it gets pricey.

IMO duck hunting is probably the cheapest of the waterfowl to pursue if you are on foot. Geese get expensive.

Bare bones for ducks:
Call- $40
Waders- $200
Ammo- $25
Dz. Decoys- $25
Weights- $40
Decoy Bag- $15
Gas- $85/tank (the number of tanks used is directly proportional to your success rate)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Paying an outfitter wont teach you as much as going out trying things on you own and learning on success and failure. Lots of factors to consider and think about: weather, decoy spread, calling, places to hunt and when. list goes on and on. i would say the best way is to go out with someone a couple times and see whats its like. after going on a few guided hunts you might be disappointed in you success when you start doing it on you own

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Yeh .... Not really sure hunting with a guide in MD is really the way to go to get started. You will get shooting for sure, but in my experience hunting ducks in MD and hunting ducks in PA is like night and day. Yeh they all fly but that's about it. They decoy and fly all together differently. I

'd recommend joining a local DU chapter, finding someone local to join up with and mentor with. Hands on experience and time will be the best teacher for you.

Good luck!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i have joined DU....finding a mentor is rough i dont expect people to offer up their hunting spots that easy

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
When I started I didn't know anyone who duck hunted. I drove around until I found a pond ducks were using. I had no decoys. I hunted that pond and mainly watched the ducks the first couple of weeks. Once I found out where the ducks liked to fly into and out of the pond I set up where I could get some pass shooting. I bought the cheapest duck call that walmart had and started practising with it. Then I spray painted some 2 litre pop bottles brown and started throwing them out in front of me. Ducks would come into land with the pop bottles and I got more shooting.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts