The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a CCW revolver is there an advantage to either a blue or a stainless finish? Is the sight picture easier to pick up on a blue finish in bright sun? Is stainless sight easier to pick up at night? What are the advantages to each finish? Any situations where one is more preferred over the other?

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Just thoughts, not much advantage with either.

The stainless obviously rust less than blued; but in reality the blued will last longer than you or I combined.

The blued is more sedate, less visible and looks more like a real gun when shown. Some think the Stainless is menacing, choice is with the individual.

Night sighting is not relavant in a CCW, it is for defensive use and aiming at night in close quarters (less than 10 foot) makes no sense to me. Pointing is all than matters in CCW.

Bluing usually costs more as the metal must be polished then blued; but manufacturers charge more for Stainless as it is the hot color today.

Stailness is steel; so stailes ccw pieces will be considerably heaiver than alloy CCW guns. this is a significant reason to NOT chose Stainless. I have a CCW revolver S&W model 442 (very light alloy); My car CCw is a S&W model 39 double action auto in 9mm; also alloy frame and light for a full frame auto.

Just my thooughts, pick what you like.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I have noticed that my stainless CCW revolver doesn't need wiped down as much due to rust from sweat, etc... as my blue'd does.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts