The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, as I mentioned this forum is a work in progress and although we do not think this occurred yet, we feel fortunate that a tech guru gave us some early advice.

If you plan to post pics from your phone we recommend <span style="text-decoration: underline">turning off the GPS function first</span>. With some phones, a pic will place gps coordinates in the pic's tag line if the GPS function is on. It is easy to turn this off in your phone settings so you can freely share pics, both with androids and iphones.

Only downside I see of turning GPA off is If you use your phone alot for driving directions. You will have to turn it back on for that so it may cause a little inconvenience there but just a couple clicks. But if you don't use it for directions you likely won;t miss it at all. I don't.

We wanted to get this word out early before this forum took off...if we see pics that are tipping your spot we will pull them and let you know. But we can't promise 100% coverage on that so please take the time to change your settings if you plan to share pics from your device in the woods.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Just posting <span style="text-decoration: underline">text </span>from the woods leaves no trail, just pics will do this.</span>

WE WANT THIS FORUM TO WORK FOR EVERYONE <span style="font-size: 26pt">BUT</span> THE "BAD GUYS" who could use this info for various reasons...GOOD HUNTING ALL!!

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
For iphone users, to remove GPS coordinates from just your pics (while continuing to be able to use compass, maps etc", go to
Settings
Privacy
Location Services
Camera: turn this OFF

then you are safe to post away from your phone

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
4C, does this apply to andorid phones too? I don;t see a <span style="text-decoration: underline">camera only </span>turnoff there. So I am guessing no.

You have to shut down the GPS altogether on android? Correct?

·
Administrator
39,021 Posts
RB-HPA said:
4C, does this apply to andorid phones too? I don;t see a camera only turnoff there. So I am guessing no.

You have to shut down the GPS altogether on android? Correct?
John, you can turn off your GPS tag in camera settings, and still have navigation, and such.I do this on my Droid.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts