The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Two schools of thought here- 1) quick adhesion or 2) flexible adhesion. The fast drying glues dry quickly, adhere well. Over time (6 months to a year) they get brittle and the vanes start coming off with repeated use. Flexible glues take longer to apply, may need you to "armour" or put a drop of glue where the fletch contacts the shaft at the front of the vane, but tend to last much longer because they maintain their flexibility over the life of the arrow/vane and fluctuation in temperature. If I'm in no hurry, I use Fletch-Tite platinum as my main glue. I have used Bohning Blazer Bond recently, with no problems.

·
Registered
53 Posts
For both aluminum and carbon I use Fletch-tite for feathers and Loktite Ultra control gel for plastic vanes. Be sure to clean/prep the shaft first.

·
Super Moderator
12,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I posted this I believe over a year ago and went out and purchased a few of the adhesives as listed above. The first one I tried was Fletch Tite Platinum and it is the only one I have used thus far as it still works well as a couple of months ago that is well over a year.

I keep it in a refrigerator in a zip lock bag and clean the spout of the dispenser after each use. I am very impressed. I still have the other products stored in the refrigerator hopefully they will still be good if/when I ever need them.

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
When I fletch with the Bitzenburger either vanes or feathers I always use Fletch-Tite Platinum. I also starting using an Arizona EZ Fletcher mini right helical for 2 inch Blazers and have been using Loktite control gel with good luck.

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
When I fletch with the Bitzenburger either vanes or feathers I always use Fletch-Tite Platinum. I also starting using an Arizona EZ Fletcher mini right helical for 2 inch Blazers and have been using Loktite control gel with good luck.
Best ever. Next question.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
I’ve never had an issue with the original Fletch tite or the new Platinum. I’ll give you two hints, buy new glue every six months and always clean with 90+% alcohol.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Depending on the arrow manufacturer, I have a few variations in cleaning the shafts prior to fletching. Gold tip arrows clean up quickly with denatured alcohol- I usually wet a paper towel, rub the arrow until it "squeeks". Then fletch. I have found that Easton Arrows (carbon and aluminum) fletch better if you take a green pad to them first, then the denatured alcohol wipe till "squeeky" clean. Carbon Express needs the same treatment at Easton. I have pretty much given up on fletching glue and feathers- I don't have the patience, even if I have nothing on the agenda. I prefer the double sided fletching tape, and again, armour the tips of the feathers with a fast setting glue.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts